Shy lil things

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

tdwsaturn
Egg
Egg

Shy lil things

Post by tdwsaturn »

So, I've had the tiny lil shrimps (10 of them plus some macro algae) for a little over a week now (7g cube, crushed black lava rock for substrate and a few bits of seiryu stone). There's brown algae all over the place so I'm not *too* worried about food. Unless they don't eat the brown algae? Also, I never see them when the light is on. Only time is after the timer shuts off the light and I shine my phone into the tank. There's also a gross looking film on the surface of the water, should I remove it? And I know that the website says no filter or airstone is needed, but it feels so "wrong" to not have at least an airstone going (salt stalactites don't bother me lol). Lots to unpack here. TIA
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Shy lil things

Post by Ula Hula »

They do eat the brown algae; I wouldn't feed them anything for months and months. The film is biofilm, which is a good thing--no need to remove it. They'll probably eventually clean up the tank, especially if they start making babies and the population increases (maybe in the spring you'll get a berried female or two). And when you get more shrimp you'll obviously see more of them. (I started with 26 and they increased to 150-200ish within a couple years.) Depending on how big your tank is, you might want to get snails to help clean up (I believe 10 is the minimum order). Resist the urge to filter. The best thing is to set these tanks up and leave them alone. Good luck!
tdwsaturn
Egg
Egg

Post by tdwsaturn »

So is it normal for them to hide all day long?

I only have 10 of them in 7.5 gallon tank.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

tdwsaturn wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:49 pm So, I've had the tiny lil shrimps (10 of them plus some macro algae) for a little over a week now (7g cube, crushed black lava rock for substrate and a few bits of seiryu stone). There's brown algae all over the place so I'm not *too* worried about food. Unless they don't eat the brown algae? Also, I never see them when the light is on. Only time is after the timer shuts off the light and I shine my phone into the tank. There's also a gross looking film on the surface of the water, should I remove it? And I know that the website says no filter or airstone is needed, but it feels so "wrong" to not have at least an airstone going (salt stalactites don't bother me lol). Lots to unpack here. TIA
A photo of the tank would help. Let them settle in. Definitely no filter needed. Resist the urge to use a filter or airstone. As mentioned, they will eat the brown algae and biofilm. Do you have a pile of rocks in the tank? They use the pile of rocks for shelter plus the rocks will develop alot of bacteria on them which is beneficial to water quality and the shrimp will eat it too.

If you have a pile of rocks, over time, you will actually see the shrimp more often. Sounds counter intuitive but it is true.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

BTW, I have a 7 gallon tank that I started with ten shrimp and now have between 150-200. All in a little over a years time. I have plenty of rocks for hiding and shelter as well as trumpet snails and macroalgae.
tdwsaturn
Egg
Egg

Post by tdwsaturn »

They're finally coming out! I was just being impatient. I like to watch my freshwater shrimps zoom around in my other tanks, so I was hopeful to see them scootin

Thanks for responding 😀