PLEASE HELP!! Floating things in my water after adding malaysian trumpet snails...

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

kksheff
Egg
Egg

PLEASE HELP!! Floating things in my water after adding malaysian trumpet snails...

Post by kksheff »

So I just got snails in the mail today from a breeder on Ebay, just looked in my tank to see that there are little things floating around and it looks like they are swimming. Could anyone give advice on what these are/how to fix the problem? Here is the video of them : https://photos.app.goo.gl/bEEk7BkrF2ah6HpA6
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Floating things in my water after adding malaysian trumpet snails...

Post by SuperProofer »

I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak to them completely, but usually when there's a post like this, people say they are copepods. Do a search on this site for "copepods" and look through the various threads. It may help answer your question and tell you what, if anything, is to be done about it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Floating things in my water after adding malaysian trumpet snails...

Post by Mustafa »

I don't think those are copepods since they are "worming" around. Whatever they are, I doubt they will harm the shrimp or even survive in a rarely fed supershrimp tank.
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by dglidden »

It's really hard to tell from the quality of the video exactly what they could be. MTS can carry certain parasites though, and it could be that throwing the snails into brackish water has drawn them out. I'd just keep an eye and make sure you don't end up with a bunch of dead stuff messing up the water parameters. Otherwise, trust Mustafa and don't worry about them.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I've had similar life appear in my tanks from who knows where. Now I've heard people in general talk about parasites from MTS but I've never been able to find anything about what they can specifically harbor. I see MTS for sale everywhere & IMHO tank safe. If anyone has info to share that would be great. Opae Ula also have no know diseases which is an additional benefit.