1st time trying a shrimp tank = failure.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Porq
Egg
Egg

Re: 1st time trying a shrimp tank = failure.

Post by Porq »

Update - most have died and only 1 left acting normal. All died the same way, starting to lay on their backs and not getting up.

I can't figure this out. Anyone else have the same type of issue?

Porq
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

If you started completely over (new sand, new decor, new fresh distilled water - not the water from the old tank just change out in portions as you adjusted salinity) then the only thing I can think of is something is getting into the water. Cleaning solutions floating in the air, aerosol spray of some type. If it's near the kitchen or bathroom, some sort of airborne chemicals... Otherwise, I would recommend starting over completely from scratch: new water, new decor, rinse the sand well. Nothing from the old tank. Heck, maybe even try a different brand of reef salt (what is the exact thing you used, BTW?) and lastly,, move the tank to another location in the house.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

What you are describing sounds like poisoning symptoms. It's hard to say what it may be, but something is definitely getting into your water. Also, you're not feeding at all right now, are you? (You shouldn't).
Porq
Egg
Egg

Post by Porq »

It's been a while but still at least one is acting normal, 1 or 2 is on their back but still alive. I used electrical tape to cover the opening to the old filter intake. I wonder if the tape is poisoning the water?

Porq
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The adhesive on the tape may be poisoning the water. Evaporated and condensed water will drip from it back into your tank, most likely taking chemicals from the adhesive with it back into the tank.