Substrate/calcium carbonate amounts

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

hydride
Egg
Egg

Substrate/calcium carbonate amounts

Post by hydride »

Hello, does the amount of substrate/calcium carbonate pebbles matter? Would too much calcium carbonate alter the pH? I was planning to dump the contents of my ecosphere in, pebbles and all.

While I’m here, how do I clean the tank adequately enough to avoid traces of tap water? Can I use distilled water packaged in plastic, or should I move the water to glass containers to avoid plastic contamination?

Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Substrate/calcium carbonate amounts

Post by Mustafa »

You can't have too much calcium carbonate really. The pH won't really go above 8.2 or so no matter how much calcium carbonate you put in there. You can have too little though. Don't worry about traces of tap water. As long as there is no standing water in your tank, some drops here and there are fine. And, yes, you can use distilled water from a plastic container sold in stores. No need to pour it into something else first. No problem at all.
hydride
Egg
Egg

Re: Substrate/calcium carbonate amounts

Post by hydride »

Thank you, I do think I put too few, pH is mid 7 at the present. Will add more of the pebbles.