Newby seeking advice

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ValeryHouse
Egg
Egg

Newby seeking advice

Post by ValeryHouse »

Hi everyone! I want to start with saying that I spent last 24 hours reading your forum and I’m fascinated with all the work you people have done. So now I’m highly motivated to free my little friends. I have one of those sealed ecospheres with 3 tiniest Supershrimp in it (used to be 4 :( ) and I’ve noticed that water in it is turning a little brownish, so I tried Googling it and that’s how I stumbled upon this website.

I read all the step by step instructions and FAQs, but I still have a couple questions:
1. I found a beautiful bowl I would like to use for a tank, but I want you to approve it first, because of the shape of it, and because the glass is slightly tinted blue. Would that have any effect on the shrimp? People seem to use those as fish tanks successfully, but I want to hear your opinion on it. Pictures attached.

2. I want to set up the tank (with weeks of waiting and growing algae of course) and buy a few new Supershrimp first to see how they like the conditions and if no one dies and it’s safe, only then put my guys from the ecosphere in there, because I don’t want them to die when I’m trying to save them, you know :) Does this make any sense? If so, how long should I wait to make sure the environment in the tank is safe for my tiny ecosphere prisoners?

3. If I use an open bowl like on the pictures attached, is it safe to add snails? Are they going to stay under water and not try to crawl outside? Sorry if my question is silly. Also, is it better to add them right away or 4 weeks later with the shrimps?

4. I have some pebbles and shells I brought from the beach, can use those as a decor for the tank? If I can, then what`s the proper way to clean them?

Thank you in advance. I’ll appreciate any kind of recommendation and will share my progress with you.

P.S. My boyfriend thinks I’m insane. He is joking that I would try to make a Pet Rock happy if I could :D
Attachments
86D5BF90-0285-4B29-9DE1-F7FA4ADF8AA2.png
7F83A5B3-86AB-470D-B75A-75C7C1FE903E.jpeg
588B4429-6FA9-4484-B54E-CA14CF3DFA52.jpeg
Last edited by ValeryHouse on Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ValeryHouse
Egg
Egg

Re: Newby seeking advice

Post by ValeryHouse »

I just found another one dead ;( So sad. I hope the rest will survive to experience a better life.
Attachments
172C0740-0338-449F-A025-ED2511F3C560.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Oh no! Sorry to hear/see that! I wouldn't wait too long and transfer your shrimp over as soon as possible. Obviously their old home is literally killing them. The container looks fine, but what's the volume? For best long term results it should be at least half a gallon in my experience.

As for the snails, they won't crawl out of the tank and disappear. You can keep the tank open, but you will have lots of issues with evaporation, especially if your tank is really small.

The pebbles and shells from the ocean you can soak in water for a few days and then wash under running water. You just want to make sure that there is nothing organic stuck in them that could foul and mess up your tank.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Plus, without some sort of lid/covering, you'll be more exposed to airborne pollutants finding their way into the tank (cleaning solutions, chemical fumes, etc. that can waft through the air). Just something to keep in mind if you can't find a way to cover it.
ValeryHouse
Egg
Egg

Post by ValeryHouse »

Mustafa wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:53 pm Oh no! Sorry to hear/see that! I wouldn't wait too long and transfer your shrimp over as soon as possible. Obviously their old home is literally killing them. The container looks fine, but what's the volume? For best long term results it should be at least half a gallon in my experience.

As for the snails, they won't crawl out of the tank and disappear. You can keep the tank open, but you will have lots of issues with evaporation, especially if your tank is really small.

The pebbles and shells from the ocean you can soak in water for a few days and then wash under running water. You just want to make sure that there is nothing organic stuck in them that could foul and mess up your tank.
Thank you for the reply. I was kinda loosing hope that anyone will answer.
I`m trying to do it as fast as possible, but it`s not a quick process. Just received all the ingredients I ordered from you.
I read all the recommendations and made sure the tank is big enough. It fits 110 ounces of water, so almost a gallon. It`s about 9" in diameter in widest part and the opening is 4". There is gonna be a shelf right above the tank, like an inch above the opening (picture attached), so it`s kind of protected from dust falling in it. Do you still recommend to make a lid for it?
Attachments
photo_2021-11-30_14-24-29.jpg
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I would still make a covering of some sort. Particulates that can float through the air could easily get between that space.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

So, how did it work out?
ValeryHouse
Egg
Egg

Post by ValeryHouse »

Sorry for no updates. Everything went well from the first try. Soon after that my friends who owned an ecosphere with supershrimp, brought it in to transfer the shrimp to my tank. So now there is 5 ecosphere survivors on my shelf! Thank you for helping.

Question: Macroalgae grew and changed overtime, should it take it out and get a new one?
ShrimpieGirl
Egg
Egg

Post by ShrimpieGirl »

Gosh I wish I knew about transferring out of the ecosphere a long time ago. Glad your buddies survived!
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by dglidden »

ValeryHouse wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:56 am Question: Macroalgae grew and changed overtime, should it take it out and get a new one?
Not sure what that means except maybe "the macroalgae has grown like a weed"? It's safe to remove some, it'll grow back, just be careful of hitchhiking shrimp or snails on what you remove. If you mean "it's dead" then you probably have other issues going on in the tank that should be better discussed.