Horrible algae problem and shrimp dying

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Exoticfishkeeper17
Egg
Egg

Horrible algae problem and shrimp dying

Post by Exoticfishkeeper17 »

So I have had a opae ula shrimp tank for 8 months now and I started with 12 shrimp and I only have 4 left and the y barely move around and I keep my ware at a specific gravity of 1.010 with a ph of 7.5. And the algae is insane I'm pretty sure it's diatom algae but it's like those little amounts of it on crac it's on every surface it's almost a centimeter thick most of the time and ugly brown but I don't have a picture of it like that but it even clogs up my sponge filter so.e how. I have tried algae killers reduced lighting restarting the tank 2 times and taking it out but it comes back within 3 to 6 days and the shrimp won't breed and they are just slowly dying. Then the only thing in the 5 gallon are ground up coral and shell sand but I don't remember the brand and some lava rocks from the river near my house that were heavily boiled and in a different freshwater shrimp tank and boiled again . Also they like to go into the holes of the heater and sit in the bottom of it should I be concerned about them going in there and it's set for 73 degrees
Attachments
20211007_052314.jpg
20211123_075835.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Horrible algae problem and shrimp dying

Post by Mustafa »

How often do you feed and how much? What algae killer did you use? Almost all of them contain copper sulfate, which is poisonous to shrimp. Algae can't grow on nothing, so it's either too much food, or something is rotting in the tank.

The most obvious things rotting in your tank are those plants. My guess is that they are reef tank macroalgae. They will slowly rot away at these lower salinity levels. Take them out. While you're at it, take out the filter too. No need and just causes problems in the long run. If you follow the instructions in our step by step setup guide *exactly* you won't run into any problems at all, and your shrimp will live and breed for literally decades to come. So, if you haven't already, I'd go read it.
Exoticfishkeeper17
Egg
Egg

Ok I have only been using the algae killer for 5 days so it should be easy to fix and I will restart and use those instructions and see how it goes
Exoticfishkeeper17
Egg
Egg

I just got the surviving shrimp into a smaller 2 gallon of the same water and drained 3/4 of the bad water and filled it up with fresh brackish water but I found out there is 2 left and 1 is not doing well so after everything gets back on track with a restarted and cycled aquarium I will order a few more shrimp
Exoticfishkeeper17
Egg
Egg

The 2 shrimp left are doing good now and next weekend when I have a chance I will restart the other tank and boil clean everything in it and thanks so much for the help
Attachments
20211124_080030.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

So, how is the new tank doing?