New Algae Found for my Shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Paulzie67
Egg
Egg

New Algae Found for my Shrimp

Post by Paulzie67 »

I got my shrimp a little over a week ago (the 10th)and wanted some Algae for it. Right now they're just in a little jar but I plan on moving them to larger container real soon.
On the 12th I went down to Tampa bay and found an area that looked brackish, based on the plants growing along the shore and found some Algae growing on some rocks along a little sandy beach. In the sand were some small pieces/clumps of the algae, rolling around in the surf. I took one home and figured, it would either live or it wouldn't. I rinsed it and dropped it in. Well, in one week it's not only darker but growing pretty well! What do you all think?

Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: New Algae Found for my Shrimp

Post by Vorteil »

That's really interesting. It does looking likes it growing, & growing well. Any idea on the species?
Paulzie67
Egg
Egg

Post by Paulzie67 »

No. No idea. In fact, when I search for Types of algae found in Tampa bay, I find links to Red Tide or to this post :)
Paulzie67
Egg
Egg

Post by Paulzie67 »

Well, this algae is growing pretty well. Today I moved 2 small "threads" to another jar to see what happens! I'll keep you all updated
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's awesome! How is the algae doing? What is the salinity in your tank?
Paulzie67
Egg
Egg

Post by Paulzie67 »

Sorry... I haven't been back here in a while! The algae did well for quite a while but eventually got overtaken by chaeto and then eaten by snails. It is Ulva intestinalis and I have since added it to other containers I have my Opae ula in. The SG is typically about 1.010-1.013.
I have found the U. intestinalis does better or lives longer when I keep it or collect it with the shell, rock or what ever piece of substrate it is growing on.
I also have tested the SG of the water around Tampa Bay, where I've been collecting THis as well as many other things (Periwinkles, Nassarius snails, hermit crabs, sea hares, nudibranchs, polychete worms, aquatic Isopods and several types of macroalgae) and it ranges from 1.016 to about 1.019, depending on where I test. So, not much acclimating for critters to get them to survive. I've posted lots of pics and short videos on a FB group I'm in. EAsy to find ;-)