5 Gallon tank sought

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dherrington1
Larva
Larva

5 Gallon tank sought

Post by dherrington1 »

Howdy everyone,
I'm currently running a smaller tank that I would like to take up to a 5 gallon set up. I'm having a heck of a time finding a suitable tank for shrimp. Everything seems to come with an integrated filter/water pump, heater, etc. I'm just looking for a basic 5 gallon tank with a lid with LED lighting. Anyone have a recommendation for something like this? No pump, no heater, preferably glass. Thanks all!
KiwiCordell
Larva
Larva

Re: 5 Gallon tank sought

Post by KiwiCordell »

You could probably find one on Amazon, you wouldn’t have to use the filter system & the heater.
I think Amazon.com would be the best place to find what you’re looking for.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

What about Petco. I believe that's where I bought all of mine. It's not listed on their website for some reason but they do have all the standard Aqueon brand.
dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Post by dherrington1 »

I've done a deep dive into the aquarium world of Amazon, and I cannot find one that comes with a lid without the pump/filter walled off area at the back/side of the tank. Obviously I wouldn't use either, but I want full use of the tank size and I don't want to lose shrimp in the back section because they can fit through the openings for the filter, etc. I think I'm going to have to go back in store at PetSmart and Petco to see the ones they don't have on their sites. The one I have now is a great one I found at PetSmart. If anyone has more ideas I'm all ears. Thanks!
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

I have this one. It's worked well because it has a lid to minimize evaporation while allowing gas exchange. I know you don't want the side panel thingee, but I just left the filter out and the shrimp love to go into that space through the vent holes. It's always dark in there, so they can chillax and get away from the light if they wish. And I have plenty of them out and about at all times, so I don't ever feel like the tank is too empty because a handful are in their "bonus room." :)

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-k ... gIisvD_BwE

This is an old photo -- it's landscaped differently now and contains a lot more shrimp, but it gives you the idea.
Attachments
opae ula tank.JPG
dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Post by dherrington1 »

Thanks for the tip. I ended up heading to PetSmart tonight and found a 6.5 corner set up that I really like. Of course it came with everything under the sun, but the filter is a drop in one in the back corner so it can be left out completely and only have a small cut out in the rear for gas exchange. Now just gotta get it set up and do the transfer when it's appropriate.
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Great! I'm glad you found one that works for you.