burried females, what to do?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

tryp
Egg
Egg

burried females, what to do?

Post by tryp »

Hi there,

I have had a 2.5 gallon opae ula tank running for about 4 months with 10 shrimp. Have not done anything to the tank except top off with RODI water. No filter, no feeding, no water changes, no sunlight. Its just sitting on my kitchen counter under my normal kitchen led lights. I've noticed now I have 3 burried females. Am I suppose to add any additional food to the tank now that there may be shrimp larvae floating around? I have a real low nutrient environment. Even the macroalgae I started with has been steadily shrinking. Any thoughts are appreciated.
dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Re: burried females, what to do?

Post by dherrington1 »

If they are breeding with your current conditions, or pretty much any conditions that they feel comfortable breeding under, you do not have to do a single thing. They do not require any additional food or nutrients. If your macroalgae is shrinking, you might want to bump up the light intake a bit, even 1 hour a day longer makes mine take off. Also, do not be surprised if your 1st time berried ladies drop their eggs. It happens to first-timers occasionally. I freaked the first time, but then found out that it is normal. It is a fascinating process with the berries until they're shrimp, lots of websites out there with great details.
tryp
Egg
Egg

Re: burried females, what to do?

Post by tryp »

Thank you so much for the reply. I will take your advise and continue to do nothing and enjoy the show!