New shrimp to add to existing tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

flaknekm
Egg
Egg

New shrimp to add to existing tank

Post by flaknekm »

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with an existing colony. I believe my salinity is around ~1.014. I have ordered more to add to this tank as there aren't many in the tank and only see a couple at a time. Is there a specific way I should be adding these guys to my existing tank so I do not shock them. I was going to float the bags to acclimate temperature. Do I need to acclimate them to the salinity as well? Do I just do small water changes between the existing tank and the water the shrimp arrive in? Is it safe to put the water that the new shrimp travelled in into the existing tank? Other things to consider?
dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Re: New shrimp to add to existing tank

Post by dherrington1 »

Float for 1-2 hours if the water temp feels significantly off from each other. Open bag(s), insert new population into tank. Watch the show. Literally nothing else is required. They are hardy at all salinities considered brackish, so there is no acclimation period necessary. No extra feeding, nothing different than you've already been doing. Happy shrimping!