Help me choose a tank!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

cinnamon
Egg
Egg

Help me choose a tank!

Post by cinnamon »

Hi everyone! I have two options for housing my shrimp: a 2 gallon hexagonal aquarium or a 1.7 gallon glass apothecary jar. Which do you all think would make a better home for them? I have been leaning towards the hexagonal aquarium (since it comes with a light and doesn't warp my view).

Additional info: A well-meaning friend got me the pictured EcoSphere for my birthday, so I'm setting up a new tank for the shrimp inside that'll better fit their needs. I have three shrimp right now and want to get an additional ten (plus ten snails to be their friends) from this website. I've already ordered enough salt, substrate, calcium carbonate rocks, and macroalgae for either container so that I can get this setup cycled and liberate the little ones as soon as possible.

ImageImage
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Help me choose a tank!

Post by sliphorn »

Hex.
brantman19
Egg
Egg

Post by brantman19 »

Go with the hex. While these shrimp are going to move around a bit, you'll want lots of spaces for them to hide and more ground area means more placement for rock.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I hope you chose the hex tank. Much better for the shrimp in the long run, and much easier to maintain. They need a large bottom area and the other container has almost none.
cinnamon
Egg
Egg

Post by cinnamon »

Hey all! Thanks for the advice, and I apologize for not posting an update sooner. Mustafa, I did go with the hex tank on sliphorn and brantman19’s advice, and I’m glad that I did. Here’s a photo of it all decorated (mostly with supplies from this site, plus the coral from the EcoSphere and a lava rock from my local pet store). Current occupants are the three rescued EcoSphere shrimp and ten brackish water snails. They all seem quite happy! It's very fun to watch them interact with all the decorations, so I'm glad I went with the tank that had adequate floor space for a variety of options. I plan to add ten more opae'ula in a few weeks.

sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

cinnamon wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:20 am Hey all! Thanks for the advice, and I apologize for not posting an update sooner. Mustafa, I did go with the hex tank on sliphorn and brantman19’s advice, and I’m glad that I did. Here’s a photo of it all decorated (mostly with supplies from this site, plus the coral from the EcoSphere and a lava rock from my local pet store). Current occupants are the three rescued EcoSphere shrimp and ten brackish water snails. They all seem quite happy! It's very fun to watch them interact with all the decorations, so I'm glad I went with the tank that had adequate floor space for a variety of options. I plan to add ten more opae'ula in a few weeks.

Nicely done.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Looks great, thanks for the update!