Jellyfish like creatures in my shrimptank!?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

xyang074
Egg
Egg

Jellyfish like creatures in my shrimptank!?

Post by xyang074 »

This is super weird. I just did a water top off in my opae tank and after the top off, I noticed these little bell-shaped thingies moving around in my shrimp tank. I want to make it clear that they are clearly not a seed shrimp/gammarus/amphipod/ostracod of any sort. I have previously had these other various little crustaceans in my other so I can state forsure that it is neither one of these. To describe them: they are circular and bell-shaped, they move around like jellyfish (they do that one thing where they use their bell-like bodies to force water away so that they can move, they have tiny feather like protrusion around the circular or "rim" part of their bell. I can only track it back to four potential sources. 1) the water and algae from a dead ecosphere, 2) two opae ulae shrimp shipments, 3) macroalgae from a local fish store, 4) a live rock from a local fish store, 5) a net that has been used for both my freshwater/brackish water tanks. I'm also going to try to find a marine biologist who might be able to identify the thing. Any thoughts though?

Link to video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/jDP9N5q9bpA?feature=share
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Jellyfish like creatures in my shrimptank!?

Post by Mustafa »

Interesting! Never seen these before. Please keep us updated on what you may find out. Let us also know if they continue surviving, or even growing.