New tank setup

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Droyed
Larva
Larva

New tank setup

Post by Droyed »

Hello,
Setting up a new tank and I have some “new parent” worries. I ordered salt, substrate, limestone, lava rock, basalt, micro algae and a moss ball from Petshrimp to start a new 2 gallon tank. Will the bacteria on the algae and moss ball be enough to provide a healthy environment for the shrimp or should I add a product to promote bacterial growth? The shrimp will be ordered later when the tank is ready.
Thanks!
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: New tank setup

Post by sliphorn »

Droyed wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:24 am Hello,
Setting up a new tank and I have some “new parent” worries. I ordered salt, substrate, limestone, lava rock, basalt, micro algae and a moss ball from Petshrimp to start a new 2 gallon tank. Will the bacteria on the algae and moss ball be enough to provide a healthy environment for the shrimp or should I add a product to promote bacterial growth? The shrimp will be ordered later when the tank is ready.
Thanks!
Do not add anything. Let the tank cycle naturally, a couple weeks or so is fine. I typically let my tanks cycle for three to four weeks.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Thanks, I’ll do that. I keep hearing about “cycling”. How will I know the tank is ready? I know to look for micro algae growth, but is there something definite to key on to know the tank has cycled?
brantman19
Egg
Egg

Post by brantman19 »

Cycling the tank is super important but not all that hard considering the hardiness of this species. Here was my process recently for a new tank.

Week 1: Set up tank. Add macroalgae. Add moss ball. Both ordered from Mustafa so they had some bacteria already growing on them. Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 2: Add snails from Mustafa so they probably had some bacteria with them. Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 3: Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 4: Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 5: Add shrimp and add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 7: Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.

It's almost week 9 so I'll likely add some more Spirulina flakes since I can't see any algae growth yet. I'll continue doing that until Week 13 which is when I'll stop adding it every two weeks and begin extending to 3-4 weeks between feeding.
Ammonia levels peak when you add bioload and then the bacteria blooms and comes back. It's generally only harmful the first few weeks. These snails seem to have a high tolerance for it and the shrimp can be added after a few weeks because the ammonia peaks are much smaller latter on as the bacteria has built up. If you want to get real specific, you can find test kits at your local pet store.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Thanks, want to give the shrimp their best chance to survive.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

brantman19 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:46 am Cycling the tank is super important but not all that hard considering the hardiness of this species. Here was my process recently for a new tank.

Week 1: Set up tank. Add macroalgae. Add moss ball. Both ordered from Mustafa so they had some bacteria already growing on them. Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 2: Add snails from Mustafa so they probably had some bacteria with them. Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 3: Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 4: Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 5: Add shrimp and add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.
Week 7: Add a pinch of Spirulina flakes crushed up.

It's almost week 9 so I'll likely add some more Spirulina flakes since I can't see any algae growth yet. I'll continue doing that until Week 13 which is when I'll stop adding it every two weeks and begin extending to 3-4 weeks between feeding.
Ammonia levels peak when you add bioload and then the bacteria blooms and comes back. It's generally only harmful the first few weeks. These snails seem to have a high tolerance for it and the shrimp can be added after a few weeks because the ammonia peaks are much smaller latter on as the bacteria has built up. If you want to get real specific, you can find test kits at your local pet store.
Overkill.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Droyed wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:02 pm Thanks, want to give the shrimp their best chance to survive.
After 2-4 weeks get ten shrimp and ten snails from Mustafa, and you will be good to go.
brantman19
Egg
Egg

Post by brantman19 »

sliphorn wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:53 am
Overkill.
Overkill in what way? Weeks 1-4 are the general cycle. Weeks 5-9 are just follow on feeding schedule considering algae takes a while to grow.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Thanks, Slip. I’m not rushing the setup so I’ll follow your advice.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

brantman19 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:38 am
sliphorn wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:53 am
Overkill.
Overkill in what way? Weeks 1-4 are the general cycle. Weeks 5-9 are just follow on feeding schedule considering algae takes a while to grow.
I missed your week #5 where you added shrimp. That's good. Apologies.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The tanks for Supershrimp don't really need a traditional "cycle". Hence feeding an empty tank is neither necessary nor desired. I don't feed for at least a month or two if it looks like the shrimp are actively picking at things and producing feces. If no algae appear after 2-4 weeks, then it's still usually safe to introduce shrimp, provided the tank was set up as described on this website. If additionally substrate, rocks, and plants from this website were used (which I know don't leach anything harmful into the water), I would say that even a week is enough.

In a well running Supershrimp tank you never have to test any water parameters. And if you do, you'll see that you'll always have 0 Ammonia and 0 nitrates.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

908EE274-9406-4366-9AC3-745921E422BE.jpeg
I attached a photo of my new 2 gal tank. About a week into setup, just waiting until the new shrimp move in.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Droyed wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:37 am 908EE274-9406-4366-9AC3-745921E422BE.jpeg

I attached a photo of my new 2 gal tank. About a week into setup, just waiting until the new shrimp move in.
Looks good. I suggest something more than netting for a top because you will lose alot of water due to evaporation. Not really a big deal as long as you keep after it by topping off with distilled or reverse osmosis.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Any updates?
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Yes, I’ve been struggling with a cloudy water condition for several weeks now. Not feeding and my shrimp seem to be perfectly fine. Macro algae and moss balls are thriving. Water is consistently cloudy with a white precipitate covering the bottom. The last time I checked tank salinity it was 1.011. I ordered some snails to see if they could help, but it has been absurdly hot here in Northwest Texas for over a month and the snails cannot be mailed. So, I’ve been considering a partial water change but haven’t done that yet because everything in the tank seems to be doing very well. It’s been a real puzzler.