Restocking an old tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Dantonellis
Egg
Egg

Restocking an old tank

Post by Dantonellis »

Hiya!
So a couple of years ago I started a small setup to house some EcoSphere rescues. I purchased everything here and set up per the instructions and even purchased some MTS. I believe I over-fed and caused an ammonia spike that killed the shrimp.
Since then, I've had the tank with just the MTS and they've been hanging out just fine. I would really like to get more shrimp and I just wanted to make sure my parameters seem ok:
I'm not equipped to test salinity but I set it up per the instructions here and have just topped off with distilled water as needed.
Nitrate and Nitrite is 0ppm
Ammonia might be leaning toward 0.25 ppm (HOWEVER I have read that the API test kit can skew that way because of chemicals in tap water, but I am concerned because of the absence of nitrates)
pH is 8.2 to 8.4 range

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Restocking an old tank

Post by dglidden »

That pH sounds high, even for Opae Ula. I don't know what the range is for them to be healthy, but I had my freshwater tank spike up to 7.8 and it sadly killed off some of the less hardy species I had in there. (I never did figure out why, I had used distilled water to fill and top it off, all the other parameters have been nominal...) If the snails are fine, the shrimp might be? I'd not risk it until you get a more educated answer personally.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Ph is fine. Ammonia is nil. Buy some shrimp. How long has it been since the shrimp died?
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

dglidden wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:48 am That pH sounds high, even for Opae Ula. I don't know what the range is for them to be healthy, but I had my freshwater tank spike up to 7.8 and it sadly killed off some of the less hardy species I had in there. (I never did figure out why, I had used distilled water to fill and top it off, all the other parameters have been nominal...) If the snails are fine, the shrimp might be? I'd not risk it until you get a more educated answer personally.
Comparing freshwater Ph to brackish water Ph is apples to oranges.
Dantonellis
Egg
Egg

Post by Dantonellis »

sliphorn wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:42 am Ph is fine. Ammonia is nil. Buy some shrimp. How long has it been since the shrimp died?
Quite a while! More than a year easily. I've just been keeping an MTS tank and letting them do their thing
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Seems like your tank has recovered and is doing nicely. No need to mess with the parameters, everything looks fine. I'm pretty sure that if you introduced shrimp now, they would be just fine.