Overpopulation?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sbube
Egg
Egg

Overpopulation?

Post by sbube »

I have about 100 shrimp in a tank that is about 1.25 gallons. For the last year there has been about one instance of larvae production that successfully produced new shrimp. Meanwhile there are almost always one or two berried shrimp in the tank, but the eggs either end up getting dropped or if there are a few larvae they only last a couple of days. The existing population seems active and very healthy.

I've started to wonder if the somewhat crowded conditions can make the shrimp be unsuccessful in producing viable larvae. Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a ceiling to the number of shrimp that can be produced in a tank?
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Overpopulation?

Post by sliphorn »

sbube wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:46 am I have about 100 shrimp in a tank that is about 1.25 gallons. For the last year there has been about one instance of larvae production that successfully produced new shrimp. Meanwhile there are almost always one or two berried shrimp in the tank, but the eggs either end up getting dropped or if there are a few larvae they only last a couple of days. The existing population seems active and very healthy.

I've started to wonder if the somewhat crowded conditions can make the shrimp be unsuccessful in producing viable larvae. Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a ceiling to the number of shrimp that can be produced in a tank?
They will self regulate. Think about starting another tank and transfer a bunch from your current tank. How old is your tank and how many did you start with?
sbube
Egg
Egg

Post by sbube »

The tank started with 10 shrimp about 4 years ago. I did have a second tank (4 gallon) with 30 opaes of a different variety. In three years in the larger tank they did no reproducing and had only one instance of berrying. So I figured why maintain that big tank if they won't fill it, and decided to place them into the smaller tank. In that environment they get berried freely, but as I said no new baby shrimp result.

I'm satisfied now with having just the one smaller tank so I'll just have to wait for vacancies to naturally occur in the tank.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They usually reproduce *more* in larger tanks, so something was not to their liking in the big tank then.