Cloud layer?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Droyed
Larva
Larva

Cloud layer?

Post by Droyed »

Can anyone explain to me what’s going on in my tank? Looks like a fog layer about midway up the water column. Shrimp seem okay, should I be worried?
Attachments
301B931A-50A0-4ECB-A6AB-1898343C1A4A.jpeg
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Cloud layer?

Post by Vorteil »

Stir up the water. Looks like there's a separation in there between the salinities.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Thanks, I’ll do that.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Stirred the water to see if the “cloud” layer would dissipate. The cloudiness is starting to separate again toward the bottom of the water column. Shrimp still seem to unaffected. No idea what is happening. This started last night.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

Hmm how old is the set up? Could a contaminat have gotten in? What if anything have you fed them?
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Tank setup is about 2 months old. Everything in tank purchased from petshrimp. Fed a small amount of spiralina flakes about a week ago and it was all eaten or carried away. First time I noticed the cloud like layer was last night after I top off the tank with distilled water from a gallon jug I’ve used several times before. Other than that, nothing new has been introduced. I am at a loss to explain the cloudy layer. The shrimp seem normal, no one in distress.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Droyed wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:30 pm Tank setup is about 2 months old. Everything in tank purchased from petshrimp. Fed a small amount of spiralina flakes about a week ago and it was all eaten or carried away. First time I noticed the cloud like layer was last night after I top off the tank with distilled water from a gallon jug I’ve used several times before. Other than that, nothing new has been introduced. I am at a loss to explain the cloudy layer. The shrimp seem normal, no one in distress.
It could be a bacterial bloom of some type. If so, it should dissipate over time. The shrimp are not bothered so I would leave well enough alone and do not feed.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Thanks, slip.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

Let us know how it goes!
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

The cloud layer has settled to the floor of the tank. Looks like a light snow. The water column is still slightly cloudy, but slowly clearing. The shrimp don’t seem to care at all! They are busy doing their normal activities. I have no idea what happened to cause the cloud to develop. Just keep watching and hope nothing else goes weird.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Droyed wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:40 pm The cloud layer has settled to the floor of the tank. Looks like a light snow. The water column is still slightly cloudy, but slowly clearing. The shrimp don’t seem to care at all! They are busy doing their normal activities. I have no idea what happened to cause the cloud to develop. Just keep watching and hope nothing else goes weird.
Yup, sit tight, don't feed and I have a feeling it will clear.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

The cloud layer showed up again! It appears to be caused by the distilled water I was using to top off the tank level. After adding water yesterday the cloud showed up about an hour later and after thinking about it, it showed up the first time after using that jug of water. I’ve switched to a different jug, different producer and will see what happens the next time I need to top off the water level. Will post back after I try the new jug of distilled water.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Perhaps Vorteil is correct. It very well could be a separation of salinities.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

The water is not mixing enough which is causing a separation of the water salinities.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Any suggestions on adding distilled water then? I’ve been trying not to disturb the macro algae too much by slowly adding the distilled water. Maybe don’t worry about that and pour hard enough so the distilled water reaches the bottom of the tank? Take some brackish out of the tank, mix with distilled water and add that to bring the level up? May sound funny, but this 2 gallon tank is much larger than the original tank I had years ago. This particular “cloud” issue has been a head scratcher for me.
Thanks for the suggestions.