plant fertilizers contain copper

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

My shrimp tank is 29 gallons :)

This is the left side of the tank with my Downoi and Tonina plants (and some others). You can see the Malaysian Trumpets all around and a few shrimp hanging out). I'm a horrible photographer, though. If I get a good picture -- it is entirely luck!

Image This is the whole tank pic. The pic doesn't do the tank justice -- I'm really proud of it, I think it is quite beautiful. I need a tripod as well, my hands are getting more shaky. I have two jobs -- my weekend job typing transcription at home. It's taking its toll on my wrists and grip strength.
zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Post by zacasonapan »

Piscesgirl I think your tank is very beautiful :D I'm also have some problems with rams and trumpet snails. I'm going to have to start taking some snails out but I kinda like the way the trumpet snails keep my gravel from becoming anaerobic. If you look closely at my gravel you can see movement. I does look a little freaky but so far no real problems except at night when the lights go out the snails carpet the sides of the tank.
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

Thank you Zacasonapan!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Very nice Tank indeed!

I better not post pictures of my tanks. One looks like a Java Moss jungle (the whole bottom is covered with a thick matt of Java Moss), the other one is a Hygrophila (and only Hygrophila) jungle and yet another one is just a tank without higher plants and with decomposing oak leaves on the ground. The only plants in there are tons of algae growing on the back and sides, filter and bottom of the tank. :)

Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

LOL thank you, Mustafa :)

Don't worry about the jungle tanks -- as long as the fish are happy and you are happy, then that is all that matters!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Exactly! :) The shrimp and the fish are happiest, fattest and most reproductively active animals around here.

Mustafa
zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Post by zacasonapan »

I just finished doing a water change and while I waited for the tanks to fill ( I use the garden hose ) I happen to notice that Kordon's NovAqua detoxifies copper and other heavy metals :!: So if I was to use NovAqua every time I dosed the tank with plant nutrient that contains small traces of copper, then it should be ok for my shrimps. Or am I still risking some deaths?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I would not do it. You want to keep the tank as natural as possible without having to tinker with chemicals too much. It's just too risky. And the plants really do not need fertilizer if you have animals in the tank.

Take care,
Mustafa
zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Post by zacasonapan »

True its best to just leave well enough alone, especially when everything right now looks and seems to be ok. Thanks again Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You're welcome. :)

Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

hi everyone,

here is my opinion about liquid fertilizer. im a planted tank lover. a copper in the liquid fertilizer just tiny amount. they wont hurt shrimps at all. im dosing everyday. none of my shrimps have had problems with it. dont worry about those products that you can buy in the market. :smt023

Piscesgirl,

your tank looks nice. wow... you have lots of Downoi. envy you. lol... Downoi can be keep in very soft water without any problems. people normal keep it in Tonina tank. what pH and kH you have in ur tank? Tonina sp. needs very soft water. kH should be less than 2. kH is the key point to have a nice Tonina tank. enjoy ur Tonina sp. :lol:

oops, how to post pix here? i only can use Img function? any other way?

Tim
zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Post by zacasonapan »

Arrrg!!!! another copper discovery damit :evil:

Some of the Flourish Tabs by Seachem contain 0.00036 copper!!! I put 3 or 4 tabs in my 125g about 2 months ago. I never siphoned my gravel cause of my plants and I guess I wont be able to add any more new plants or replant cause I'm worried that I might stir up the copper under the gravel. I'm thinking of changing all of my substrate to get rid of whatever traces of copper are in my tank. I'm I just panicking? Breaking down a 125g is a pain.

Out of the 30 tiger shrimps that are supposed to be in the tank, I only see no more then 4 at a time. Out of the 20 bumble bees, its the same.. no more then 4 at a time. I only found one dead tiger about a week ago; unless they are hiding I'm thinking that they might be dead. But I never see any dead bodies. I've had the Tigers and the bees for about 3 weeks. I hope they are just hiding cause there is plenty and I mean PLENTY of places for them to hide. My amanos and red cherry seem to be doing great! I at least see half of the number that is supposed to be in there. Amanos are 26 and I see 14 to 18 at on time usually. Red cherries are 23 and I usually see around 8 or 9 at a time, the most at one time has been 11 cherries and that was tonight. Also out of the 6 crystal reds I usually see only 2 at a time but once in a while I'll see 3. My rainbow shrimps number should be 12 but I see 4 at a time but with them its easier cause they are different colors so I might have around 8 in the big tank.

I thought copper was bad for plants? And if so why the heck do they add it to the ferts!!? I saw a sponge at a lfs that removes copper from the tank but it will also remove iron. Anyone know of anything that will remove copper from the gravel or are the traces in the tabs to small to really start a shrimp melt down? Then again if I was going to have a shrimp melt down it would have happen already cause I've had shrimps in that tank for about 2 months now. Maybe the bee and the tigers are just weaker then the others.

Sorry for the long rant, I just want my shrimps to be ok. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As Tim has mentioned before, that little copper might not be enough to kill your shrimp (although I would still not use fertilizer personally). Breaking down a 125 gallon is not an option. Obviously your shrimp are doing fine. If there had been copper or other harmful chemicals/metals in your tank, then you would have seen all of your shrimp die within just days.

And yes, shrimp love hiding. So it's normal that you only see a fracition of the real number of shrimp in your tanks. Don't worry about it. :) To see a lot of shrimp in a 125 gallon every day, your shrimp have to reproduce heavily. Until you have a couple hundred shrimp in there you won't be seeing masses of shrimp running around if there are enough hiding places.

Take care,
Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I am not the norm when it comes to planted tanks and ferts -- but to me, it isn't worth the chance. Plants will 'detoxify' or use up small amounts of copper, so the shrimp wouldn't be affected. If it starts to build up, well that's another matter. In my shrimp tank, my shrimp come first. The plants will just have to make do. As you can see, the plants seem to be doing fine without any trace ferts, and that tank has been keeping shrimp since March 1st (although I didn't really fert it before then either). I will add certain macro ferts like nitrate, etc. if it is needed, and I'm adding calcium for the shrimp, and magnesium.

In terms of the lowest amount of copper -- I believe it is Flourish by Seachem. I discussed this with another hobbyist and supplier of certain fertilizers.
zacasonapan
Larva
Larva

Post by zacasonapan »

I think I will only use they ferts when it's absolutely necessary and in half dosage. Thanks again for the advise Mustafa and Picesgirl :D

Pete