Faded/starved algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LynnC
Egg
Egg

Faded/starved algae?

Post by LynnC »

My 2 gallon tank is doing well, but the Chaetomorpha has never had a green color to it. It has always been this washed-out color which at first made me suspect it was dying or otherwise not doing well. The tank is six years old and the algae has slowly spread itself across the bottom of the tank. The shrimp are fine, they reproduce frequently and are very active. The tank is in a room with two east facing windows, and I have an LED light bar that cycles on at noon every day and off at 10:00pm. So I'm wondering, do I have too much or too little light for the algae? Thanks!
LynnC
Egg
Egg

Re: Faded/starved algae?

Post by LynnC »

IMG_20220612_202405_340.jpg
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

There's not enough nutrients in the water to support it.
LynnC
Egg
Egg

Post by LynnC »

OK, so what is a way to increase the nutrients without disturbing the existing balance in the tank? Carefully add a little food and see what happens?
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Personally I would just leave it be since it's doing well. You can remove some of it and see if the rest starts to recover.
LynnC
Egg
Egg

Post by LynnC »

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. My action so far has been just that - leave it alone as long as the shrimp are active and reproducing. But the lack of green still bothers me - I've added a small amount of shrimp food and will see what happens. I'll do additional feedings, probably weekly, and watch for any increased color. As I mentioned I have not feed this tank since starting it six years ago so adding food is something new.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Personally I would advise against any more feedings. It's 6 years old and doing well except for the chaeto. It in balance. Why change it just for the chaeto?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

LynnC wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:03 pm I'll do additional feedings, probably weekly, and watch for any increased color. As I mentioned I have not feed this tank since starting it six years ago so adding food is something new.
Weekly is not necessary. If you want to start feeding, then I'd feed every month or two a tiny amount. That would be enough to get the plants going again without increasing the probability of disaster.