Cycling a new tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Tavy
Egg
Egg

Cycling a new tank

Post by Tavy »

Greetings!

A week ago my friends brought me opae ula shrimps for my birthday. I did not know what is it and had to do my own research. Now I'm determined to give them a better environment to live in and moving them into a 1 gallon tank.

I'm a newbie and still trying to cycle my tank, I have just started the process a day ago by using algae wafers. However, looking at some comments online, most recommended not to use algae wafers? So is it okay to use it or I have to buy fish food?

Would appreciate some help! Thanks :>
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Cycling a new tank

Post by SuperProofer »

If you follow the directions on this site, you don't need to add anything. Plus, when you're ready to transfer your shrimp into the new tank, you can include the water they came in which will already have the beneficial nutrients they need. It just takes a little bit of patience to wait for the tank to cycle.
Tavy
Egg
Egg

Re: Cycling a new tank

Post by Tavy »

Oh but I have added some more fish flakes before I read your comment :( I shall then stop addding things into it and just wait for 4 weeks. Will be adding the water, gravel and some lava rocks in their previous tank as advised by you. Thank you!!!!