Killing macroalgae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Killing macroalgae

Post by dherrington1 »

Does anyone know of a safe way to kill off all macro algae in a populated tank? I made the mistake of keeping it as I upgraded tanks from my original Ecosphere and now it just keeps coming back from a tiny part that I miss. Every week I'm pulling out huge chunks of it with no end in sight. I want to completely remove it from the tank if possible, but at this point I'm almost willing to start from scratch and see if I can prevent if from moving over with the shrimp.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Killing macroalgae

Post by sliphorn »

Photo? If it is coming back that quickly then I doubt it is the macroalgae that Mustafa sells. I could be wrong, though.The tanks must have alot of nutrients for algae to grow that quickly.
dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Re: Killing macroalgae

Post by dherrington1 »

Not the stuff Mustafa sells, it's that macro that they put in the tiny Shrimp Bubble kits. Slightly better than the Ecosphere one's in that the top is removable. I keep pulling it out and tossing it in the trash, but it breaks easily and one single little strand gets left behind it becomes a tuft in a week or so. I just had ~50 hatchlings, so hopefully they'll help kill it off. I'll photo it next time before pulling it out.