Tank set-up - rookie

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

and_baker@yahoo.com
Egg
Egg

Tank set-up - rookie

Post by and_baker@yahoo.com »

Hello I'm a new user, starting a new tank in order to attempt an "EcoSphere" rescue.
I read the instructions here & have my supplies ready to get my new tank cycling as preparation.
I can't find any information on how much headspace is appropriate, e.g. in a 1/2-gallon container, is an inch of air right?
I received the EcoSphere as a gift from a well-meaning friend and have watched in horror as several shrimp died in their tiny prison. My plan is transfer my one survivor, and if s/he lives, get some companions for it. Thanks in advance.
OpaeOasis
Egg
Egg

Re: Tank set-up - rookie

Post by OpaeOasis »

That amount of space would work, I'm sure it would make no difference if it were halved, or even less than that. This species is adapted well to low-oxygen environments, so there's no need to worry (if they can survive in a sealed glass enclosure, there's no danger of having too little space for gas exchange). In fact, I recommend having less since the container is small, and it may be a better move to start out with a 1 or 2 gallon tank if there are plans for future inhabitants. It takes the same amount of effort, maintenance, and time. The population size is limited in smaller containers as well.
and_baker@yahoo.com
Egg
Egg

Re: Tank set-up - headspace

Thank you OpaeOasis, I appreciate it. Good to know that about the oxygen levels. Once my new tank has cycled for 2 weeks I plan to photograph the process. I am very sad about the prison/EcoSphere...if my lone inhabitant survives the transfer I'll purchase 2 more to keep it company.
and_baker@yahoo.com
Egg
Egg

Re: Tank set-up - Ecosphere transfer success

I took Mustafa's advice and after letting my destination tank settle for 9 days (and with macroalgae purchased here) I carefully broke the Ecosphere seal and put my lone shrimp, along with some water & the original branch from the Ecosphere, into a new tank. The shrimp seems happy and actively explored, especially the macroalgae. I'll attempt to post photos. Thanks to all who posted here.
https://imgur.com/hPFrDoH
https://imgur.com/lX3XHgI
https://imgur.com/6mEQ8af
https://imgur.com/E01Gmyv
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

I'm so happy your last little guy made it out alive! :smt007
and_baker@yahoo.com
Egg
Egg

Thanks, Rosiepink89. The shrimp's color has even improved. Once he's settled in, I'm ordering a few friends for him. Do you recommend snails as well? There were 6 tiny ones in the EcoSphere but I can't tell if they survived. I fear this is a dumb question, but how can you tell if a snail is dead? I'm keeping them in a small jar (about the size of the original EcoSphere) in their original water, but they haven't moved. If they are dead, should I put them in my new tank as a source of calcium?
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

I'm glad you have a happy survivor! One suggestion: These shrimp love having rocks/seashells/tank-safe decorations to explore and hide under, and your new tank is a bit barren. When you get "friends" for your shrimp, they're more likely to breed if they feel comfortable in the tank and have some private nooks and crannies.
and_baker@yahoo.com
Egg
Egg

Thank you for the comment, good to know. I’ve just ordered some lava rocks here, to make the terrain a bit friendlier. Appreciate the tip.
and_baker@yahoo.com
Egg
Egg

Re: Tank set-up - rookie - success

Just a quick update, I added 5 new shrimp (purchased here) to my lone ecosphere survivor, and I also added some lava rocks (purchased here) to give them some hiding places. All are alive and thriving. Today I spotted my first "molt," which it seems they may be eating..? The whole crew are a good color and seem healthy.