Moving

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Moving

Post by dherrington1 »

I am looking at my first (and last) move with my shrimp. I currently have ~50+ from tiny babies to full sized ~2 year olds with ~20 snails in a 6.5 gallon tank. I've never moved aquariums before, and this thing even at only 6 gallons is heavy. What methods have others had success with in moving tanks? It's only about 50 miles from house to house. I've thought about removing all the shells and rocks and draining most of the water with just the gravel and about 3 inches of water with all the shrimp in it. Would this work or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Moving

Post by SuperProofer »

I think most people just drain about half or so of the water and that's good. If you have any heavy decorations that could fall over and hurt the shrimp, take those out too. As long as you can lift it and the water level is low enough not to slosh out everywhere, you should be good.
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Moving

Post by Ula Hula »

Yes, I'd drain it down to a few inches (but obviously keep the water) and take out anything that can move, like rocks. But if you have some chaeto algae or something similar they could hold onto for the ride, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. I moved a tank and I put the whole thing in a big box and stuffed towels around it.