Newbie water questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

Newbie water questions

Post by MsNymbus »

Hi! Just got my supplies to set up my new tank! Have a few questions about water - I got some Kroger water gallons that say they are purified by reverse osmosis in the fine print. It doesn’t explicitly say whether or not minerals are added. I have no reason to believe it is mineral water other than that it’s called “drinking water”. It has more details about carbon/ozonated purification as well. Will this work? Has anyone used this water with success? (I’m attaching an image of the label.) Also, when I eventually order my snails & shrimp - I am wondering how to transfer them into the tank to ensure acclimation - should I include some or all of their bag water as well or just use a net to put them in after floating the bag to temp acclimate? Thanks!
Attachments
F7045A53-E42B-4B4A-B78E-5E300687CD7B.jpeg
MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

Re: Newbie water questions

Post by MsNymbus »

I also ordered some arrowhead distilled water - I think this might be better but would love any input on water brands/suggestions & still curious about the Kroger brand. Thanks!
OpaeOasis
Egg
Egg

Post by OpaeOasis »

The water is filtered and processed to the point that it's overkill- that'll work just fine. I used plain, $1 distilled water from my local grocery store. For acclimating, just dumping all the water into the tank will work, I believe it adds some nutrients and algae spores to "kick off" the tank as it matures. It is worth noting that adding more saline water to the tank will increase the salinity, and this can cause issues if the tank is very small (under 1-2 gallons, I recommend 2 gallons at least). I would remove some tank water, pour the bags into the tank, and balance out the salinity as needed with more distilled. If the salinity is in the ballpark of 1.012 sg, they'll be fine.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

OpaeOasis wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:11 pm The water is filtered and processed to the point that it's overkill- that'll work just fine. I used plain, $1 distilled water from my local grocery store. For acclimating, just dumping all the water into the tank will work, I believe it adds some nutrients and algae spores to "kick off" the tank as it matures. It is worth noting that adding more saline water to the tank will increase the salinity, and this can cause issues if the tank is very small (under 1-2 gallons, I recommend 2 gallons at least). I would remove some tank water, pour the bags into the tank, and balance out the salinity as needed with more distilled. If the salinity is in the ballpark of 1.012 sg, they'll be fine.
There is so little water in the shipping bag that the tank water would still be in the salinity ballpark after adding the critters to the tank. No need to remove any tank water, methinks.