Spirulina question

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

PSPCommOp
Egg
Egg

Spirulina question

Post by PSPCommOp »

Hey all, newb here looking to put together a tank. Only question I have was for Spirulina. Will any do or is there a specific brand that is recommended. A search on Amazon shows a ton for human consumption but when you put in the word Aquarium, it narrows down. Can't really find a list of the ingredients on all of those and i've read that the algae wafers and the pellets are different. Some of the other items that pop up have other additives too.

Wondering if anyone can suggest a brand or distributor to purchase from. Don't wanna mess up and get one with additives that can negatively impact water quality or the little guys.

Thanks in advance!
CrimsonThornX
Egg
Egg

Re: Spirulina question

Post by CrimsonThornX »

Hi there, as far as I'm concerned assuming the main ingredient is pure spirulina, then it should be safe to use for your shrimp. The brand I personally used for feeding them once a month or so was Nutrex Hawaii which I bought from The Vitamin Shoppe, but is probably available elsewhere. I said used since I now currently use a pinch of "Repashy Super Green", which contains not only spirulina as the main ingredient, but also chlorella and other algae/plant based powders. My shrimp have been breeding almost constantly since using it, and immediately start gathering at the top to devour it too. ( But to be safe I'd suggest pure spirulina)