pH too low, suggestions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

PSPCommOp
Egg
Egg

pH too low, suggestions

Post by PSPCommOp »

Hey all,

Currently cycling a tank for my first endeavor into the world of Super Shrimp in a self-contained ecosystem and i'm having issues achieving an acceptable pH. I've listed as much relevant information that I can think of below.

Tank is simple and consists of a layer of aragonite sand, roughly 1/2 to 3/4".
On top of that I scattered about some Seachem Matrix along with some small (3/4") lava rocks with several larger 2-3" added on top of that. Only other hardscape addition is a seafan. I'm also waiting on the arrival of the Chaeto macroalgae I ordered from here which should arrive this week. For the brackish water, I used Instant Ocean Sea Salt added to distilled water and the salinity has been confirmed using two testing methods (salinity parameter and tested methods listed below).

I've been cycling with a daily dose of Seachem Stability along with a seasoned nano sponge filter from another tank and also added a heater to keep the temp in the 72-75 F range for the cycle.

Parameters from my two water tests are showing the following:
Salinity: 1.014 using both a refractometer and salinity hydrometer.
Ammonia: 2.0 ppm
Nitrites: .25 ppm
pH: 7.4
All testing done with the API Master Test Kit and i'm currently on day 16 of the cycle. I've conducted two 50% water changes during the cycling time when Ammonia was in the 4-8 ppm range.

The pH was 7.8 last week but has since dropped to 7.4 which has me a bit puzzled. I figured with the Aragonite sand it would be higher and holding steady closer to 8 at this point but it has actually dipped. That along with the sponge filter off gasing any the CO2 should help facilitate a higher ph right? Am I missing something and is there anything I can do to raise that pH to the goal of 8.0? Is it possible my test kit is off? It's a test kit for freshwater tanks but i've looked into it and the reagents appear to be the same from both fresh and saltwater kits so I didn't think it would make a difference there.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: pH too low, suggestions

Post by Mustafa »

Hi there and welcome!

It seems like you're trying to "cycle" your tank like it's going to be a fish tank with a high bioload. With Supershrimp tanks everything is different. You don't need or want a traditional "cycle". Have you read the step by step instructions here? If not, I would urge you to do so and just follow those instructions to the T. Also, search the forum for the advice given over and over to people who just start out with Supershrimp, but treat the tank like they are keeping fish or even freshwater shrimp. That method never failed for now almost two decades and almost everyone here has used it. Get rid of that seachem matrix...you want the nitrates for the algae/macroalgae to grow (and shrimp will feed mostly on the algae/biofilm). Stop using any kind of bacterial supplement. Those just unnecessarily increase the bioload when the bacterial inevitably die (because shrimp don't produce much, if any, measurable ammonia. Also, many of those supplements come with ammonia in the bottle to keep the bacteria alive....you don't want that in a shrimp tank.

Finally, ditch that sea fan. It has been the source of countless "sudden deaths" in customers' tanks. They tend to rot over time and pollute the water. Some people say it works fine for them, but they also boiled and scrubbed the heck out of them...and even then it's a gamble.

Ditch the ph test, (or any test for that matter) too. If you have aragonite in there and don't let anything rot, then your tank will be at the right ph range automatically. With that much aragonite I highly doubt it'll go below 7 at any point, which is when it gets dangerous for these shrimp. 7.4 is just fine.

Finally, ditch the sponge filter. It's not only "not needed" but counterproductive. Creates too much movement, accumulates too much organic waste which the snails and shrimp can't get to, and will leave a nasty salt creep outside your tank.

You may want to post a picture of your tank to see if there is anything else that needs to be addressed. Supershrimp do best when one does not fiddle with anything and just leaves the tank the and shrimp alone. The more one fiddles with the tank or water parameters or technology (which isn't needed) the more the chances of something going wrong increase.
PSPCommOp
Egg
Egg

Re: pH too low, suggestions

Post by PSPCommOp »

Yeah I read that section about a week and a half ago after I already had the pieces in place and things moving along lol.

My basic idea was to cycle it like a traditional tank and then just have everything ready to go so i could just order some shrimp and add them. Hence the use of the sponge filter, Stability and Matrix. Just get it moving along and ready as fast as possible.

Makes total sense tho if there has already been alot of success otherwise. I'm prob gonna drain it and follow those instructions as suggested at this point. And good to know about the pH. I was mainly concerned with keeping it high but if the 7.4 range works too then that puts me at ease a bit.

I have some Chaeto that I ordered from here on the way, should be here by Monday so i'll prob tear everything down and start everything all over again. Its only a half gallon jar so its no like i'm wasting a whole lot at this point.

Thanks again, the advice/feedback are appreciated.