Is temperature a concern when measuring Salinity?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dtoh21
Egg
Egg

Is temperature a concern when measuring Salinity?

Post by dtoh21 »

Hi,

I am new to keeping Opae Ulu shrimp. So fortunate to stumble into this amazing community.

I also did something horribly wrong setting up my new tank by using aquarium salt instead of marine/reef salt. Thank to the forum moderater who explained in the step by step setup.

I have a refractor to read water salinity. I understand that the shrimp strive between 7-23 ppt (~1.005-1.016 sg) from the article posted by the moderator. And I understand temperature does affect the salinity reading. Question, my room temperature is around 30 to 32 degrees Celsius, do I need to read the salinity of the water in an air-conditioned room of around 20 degree Celsius or can I just read off in my room temperature to give me 7 to 23ppt?

Thank you in advance.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Is temperature a concern when measuring Salinity?

Post by sliphorn »

dtoh21 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:14 am Hi,

I am new to keeping Opae Ulu shrimp. So fortunate to stumble into this amazing community.

I also did something horribly wrong setting up my new tank by using aquarium salt instead of marine/reef salt. Thank to the forum moderater who explained in the step by step setup.

I have a refractor to read water salinity. I understand that the shrimp strive between 7-23 ppt (~1.005-1.016 sg) from the article posted by the moderator. And I understand temperature does affect the salinity reading. Question, my room temperature is around 30 to 32 degrees Celsius, do I need to read the salinity of the water in an air-conditioned room of around 20 degree Celsius or can I just read off in my room temperature to give me 7 to 23ppt?

Thank you in advance.
Did you start over with marine/reef salt? If not, mix it half strength and do not worry about measuring your salinity. It is really very simple. Half strength marine water and you are good to go. Top off evaporative loss with distilled or reverse osmosis water.