Safe decor for super shrimp bowl

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Dodgeylauren
Egg
Egg

Safe decor for super shrimp bowl

Post by Dodgeylauren »

I’m fixing up my about one gallon bowl that I had some unsafe decor in (sea fan and marimos) and I’m wondering what a safe alternative to a sea fan might be.

I want something that adds a little height to the decor, like a branch. Are there any types of wood I could by from my local reputable aquarium store that would be safe? And if not, do you have any alternative safe decor suggestions?

Thank you.

Picture is of bowl before I removed marimo and sea fan.
Attachments
BD8C23BB-3372-4481-8464-04D8E1B0DD10.jpeg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Safe decor for super shrimp bowl

Post by Super Jess »

Any plastic plants sold for aquarium use are usually fine. Amazon search for "plastic aquarium sea fan" returns some good results. Have fun!
Dodgeylauren
Egg
Egg

Post by Dodgeylauren »

What about some kind of grape vine branch? Are all woods harmful?
Dodgeylauren
Egg
Egg

Post by Dodgeylauren »

And are there any live plants you would recommend?
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Don't put any wood in -- it can decompose and mess up your water, especially in such a small environment. The only live plants that are sure to be safe are the macro algae (chaetomorpha) and the little algae balls sold on this site. You can also put in sea shells (they help buffer water pH), but only if they're natural and don't have a coating on them like some do that are sold in stores or online. Any decoration sold for aquariums is fine. Also, glass things, like marbles. Inert stuff is your friend. :)