Behavior of juveniles

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Behavior of juveniles

Post by Harry »

My tank is about 10 years old and doing well. I find larvae on a continuous basis. The larvae float up and down in a heads down position. They then begin to swim sideways and I believe this is a post larvae phase. They are still quite tiny when they begin to swim sideways. At this point they tend to disappear into the lava rocks. I don't see them again until they are about 1/4 inch long. I am wondering if this is a typical behavior - hiding until they reach a certain length?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Behavior of juveniles

Post by Super Jess »

Yes, when they first become benthic they are very tiny and easily hide between gravel bits and in other tiny crevices. Congratulations on your happy population!
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Behavior of juveniles

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the prompt answer. I remain amazed at how long these shrimp have survived. The tank is approximately 2.5 gallons. The water and glass remain crystal clear with Nerite snails aiding in the effort. For me the key has been to do less, just about ignoring them except for the occasional small feeding.