How much salt?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

mattooniak
Egg
Egg

How much salt?

Post by mattooniak »

I started out with an ecosphere my boyfriend got me but wanted to expand.

With all the rocks and substrate and everything, my tank fits 2.25 US fluid cups (18 US fl oz). How much salt should I use? I purchased salt from this website but the smallest quantity available was for 0.5 gallon.
o.Ohill
Egg
Egg

Re: How much salt?

Post by o.Ohill »

You might want to size up a bit in that case. It's more space for the shrimp to hang and easier to maintain a healthy environment for them with more volume. They're not fussy about the kind of container you use, could be anything glass from the thrift store so hopefully not too hard to go a bit bigger?
shrimpnoobie1
Egg
Egg

Re: How much salt?

Post by shrimpnoobie1 »

I recommend going a bit bigger, but what I did was mix the water outside of the tank and then test it, 1tsp of salt at a time. You’ll get there. For that much water, I think 1tsp will put you in range actually.

I have a long post on here of my process of releasing my ecosphere shrimp. It’s under my OG user shrimpnoobie. You can read it if you’d like I’m sure it’ll help you and good for you releasing those shrimp. Good luck.