Lowering Salinity?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

NewShrimp
Egg
Egg

Lowering Salinity?

Post by NewShrimp »

Hi everyone!

The other day, I measured my salinity for the 1st time out of curiosity. I was surprised to see it was at 25 ppt or 1.018 sg. I know that they can survive this salinity, especially since they have for the past 2 years, but it seems to be way above their ideal range. Since I've had them, they always remain in their lava rocks, and only wander a little bit at night, so I began to wonder if they were unhappy with the salinity. I topped off the tank with some distilled water and it dropped to 23 ppt or about 1.017 sg. Since then, they have been venturing out from their rocks a lot more and picking at things away from their rock hideout. They seem happier with the change, but I'm wondering if I should lower it more so it's in their ideal range since my research says 10-15 ppt (although they can tolerate more or less) to keep them the happiest. Should I lower the salinity more, and if so, do I have to do so slowly, or can I just take out some of the tank water and immediately add distilled water?

Thanks for the help!
kuanyu1993
Egg
Egg

Re: Lowering Salinity?

Post by kuanyu1993 »

Even though they are tough, it's always safer to do it slowly.

There are online calculator for sea water, which tells SG at given temperature and salinity.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Lowering Salinity?

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, you can lower it that way if you want. Have they been breeding the last two years? If yes, then there's no need to change anything.