Living alone?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

maltescooter
Egg
Egg

Living alone?

Post by maltescooter »

The Tale of Shrimpy & The Jar

Here's a story about how I freed my opae ula from the evil "Shrimp Bubble" three months ago. Sadly, two of its three inhabitants died just before the rescue. Now we have one, aptly named Shrimpy, living all alone in what appears to be a two gallon jar w/a cork top. (And all the brackish water and the correct opae ula habitat things from this site of course).

My question is: Do you think Shrimpy wants friends? It doesn't seem wigged out without a school to blend into. He/she swims out in the open and says hi to us all the time.:smt006.

I kinda don't want to rock the boat by adding more shrimp to the mix and then it throws something off and kills Shrimpy since he/she is pretty much a miracle critter to survive a journey from the dreaded bubble of death in the first place. Idk. I don't want it to be destined for solitude either.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Living alone?

Post by sliphorn »

Get more. They live in groups, large groups.
kuanyu1993
Egg
Egg

Re: Living alone?

Post by kuanyu1993 »

Here's my story.

I made a mistake and caused ammonia spike.
The only survivor spent a week in a plastic cup before I rebuilt the tank.
I had that same question you're facing. And I was a bit nervous about putting new shrimps.

But my little one seems having a good life with ten other shrimps now.