Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish, Cambarellus patzcuarensis

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Killfrenzy
Egg
Egg

Post by Killfrenzy »

Acsuth wrote:
Killfrenzy wrote:My primary interest in these little buggers is: Where can I get some?
I would just keep an eye out for them on aquabid.com, under "invertebrates".
I've been watching Aquabid for a few months, usually I just see the other type of pygmy crays. They are generally cheaper and I'm considering getting those, too, of course, but...

I'll keep an eye out for this Gbpeassoma... but $20+ each... Ouch.

EDIT: Lo and behold, I think he just registered. I think we also missed an L in his name, too. Whoops.
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

I woke up this morning and my other female has a clutch now -- the last clutch was about 15 to 18 eggs...this one looks to be more, like 30 maybe. I noticed in Gerald's article he estimates about 50 eggs are in a clutch -- does anyone else get that many? I bred C. shufeldtii before too and never got that many per clutch...seems like so many wouldn't fit.
gnatster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gnatster »

Would you mind describing the setup you use to house and breed these?

Tank size, other floura and fauna, what size tanks are needed for growout.

Thanks
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

gnatster wrote:Would you mind describing the setup you use to house and breed these?

Tank size, other floura and fauna, what size tanks are needed for growout.

Thanks
Hi gnatster,
I have two pair in a 10 gallon tank with a spongefilter, a few small turbo seashells for them to hide in, some java moss and najas grass...there are a couple common ramshorn snails in there and nothing else though they would probably do fine with dwarf shrimp. I don't use a heater so the temperature is probably in the low seventies. I have a batch of young growing out right in the same tank -- they are about the size of crystal red shrimp right now.
I feed frozen brineshrimp twice per day, and a pellet food once every other day(they don't seem to like it as much as the brineshrimp). The young crayfish spend a lot of time on the sponge filter eating the infusoria. Now that they have some size, they are not harassed by the adults -- though I was worried for a while. I don't appear to have lost any.
Last year, I had one pair breeding in a 2.5 gallon tank which seemed to work fine(it was well established). In a small tank, hiding places are essential IMO. I would say two trios or three pairs would do well in a 10 gallon species tank, at least twice that many in a 20 gallon and so on. If you want a separate growout tank, you could just move the female to that tank until she releases the young. I would just make sure to have live plants and an established spongefilter for them.
This is what works for me, though there are other methods that will work fine as well I'm sure.

Amanda
gnatster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gnatster »

Thanks so much for sharing. Now if I can only find some myself!!
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

not the best quality photo, but the best one I could get after several tries -- here's a few of the babies on top of the spongefilter:

amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

They are downright adowable !
Mikha El
Egg
Egg

Post by Mikha El »

Man! I can't find these critters anywhere. Does anyone have a source?
buffguynumberone
Egg
Egg

Babies!!

Post by buffguynumberone »

Looks like I'll have babies soon! Is anyone else having sucess breeding these crays? Mine seem to be very picky...only breeding in the spring.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Yo can induce breeding by changing water temps & light cycles. Larger water changes also help trigger it.
rymeyer
Egg
Egg

Will they eat shrimplets

Post by rymeyer »

Does anyone keep these with breeding cherry shrimp, or would they eat all of the shrimplets?
rymeyer
Egg
Egg

Water hardness?

Post by rymeyer »

Also, what is the best water hardness for keeping these and inducing them to breed?
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Click on the "Articles" section to the left of the screen and you'll find a good piece to read on these crays.
rymeyer
Egg
Egg

Post by rymeyer »

Thanks.
rymeyer
Egg
Egg

Post by rymeyer »

The articles doesn't answer directly whether or not they can be kept with cherry shrimplets. I assume that if they don't bother their own babies when they have sufficient food, they would also leave the shrimp alone, but does anyone know if that's true?