Hawaiian Red Shrimp update (eggs hatched!!!)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Erirku
Egg
Egg

Post by Erirku »

thats what its says on Fukubonsai or the handout I have.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I think you can safely ignore that unless the water coming out of your tap is liquid concrete (=unusually hard). But even then, your periodic water changes should take care of the hardness problem and equalize things. These water changes are especially important if you have very hard tap water. Besides, these shrimp like it nice and hard anyway.

Having said that, we have extremely soft water here in NYC, so hardness build up is not an issue for me anyway. Hence, until something poisoned my shrimp I had not done a water change for more than 6 months (just topped off with tap water) and my shrimp even procreated.
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

about

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Hey Mustafa, about the hand washing thing chlorophyll stated earlier... When i''m messing around in my tanks no matter if its my fish snail crayfish or shrimp tank I always take some water out of the tank I am going to be handeling and soak them in the water. Do you think this is a bit extreme, or a good idea. I also wash my filters etc. in the same water so I don't loose or add any other material.
Ray1214
Egg
Egg

Post by Ray1214 »

What is your Salinity? I have been aiming at 1.015 but i am thinking that I need to drop it a bit more. I have larva but they seem to disappear into the mound of lava rock i have in my tank.

I top off with RO/DI water but as I keep reef tanks it is not an issue. But I do water changes with old tank water. 2 gallons every other day. Once a week I do half doses of Iodine and Calcium along with about once a month I add Reef Trace and Reef plus.

Ray