This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Petco Crayfish species?

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Hey,

Has anyone been to a petco lately? If you have, what species of crayfish is it that they offer? I am speaking of the rough looking individuals that are kept in an abandoned planted tank in the aquatic plant section? They are marked as "crayfish." Has anyone seen these before and if so, what species are they? Is this just my petco (fairview heights) that keeps them like this? Any info will help.

Chris
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

The petco here as blue crayfish from the species immunis aka blue floria crays. Bit more decription colour, scale type etc would help
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The blue crays from Florida are not Procambarus immunis. They are Procambarus alleni. Petco carries them all over the country under various names.
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

Err MY bad i got them mixed up
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

I just have immunis on my mind my baby pet cray died like 2 days ago which is why i bought the shrimp, Thats the bad part about baby crays moults kill them often.
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Thanks but I wasn't talking about the blue crays. I knew that species, I was reffering to a misc. species just being offered as crayfish. However I realize without a pic this question is unanswerable. Sorry bout that.
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Bit more decription colour, scale type etc would help

Ok. The one i bought was reddish-brownish, and had long claws like pliers. It also had some external parasites on the sides of its carapace.

EDIT: Sorry haven't been to petco in awhile, so not a very good decription.
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

theshrimp_123 wrote:
Bit more decription colour, scale type etc would help

It also had some external parasites on the sides of its carapace.
Can you describe these? They may have been commensals.
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

A thread decribing the parasites may be seen with this link. viewtopic.php?t=333&start=0&postdays=0& ... highlight=
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Sorry veneer, but thats all the info I had as it died very shrotly before the molt.
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

hey

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Hey, petco gets there crays from Apet, there crayfish are crossbreds. Most of them are rusty crays :wink: They sell them for like 1.99 or something, and they DO NOT last very long together at all. They fight like rats.
craydaddy
Egg
Egg

Halerquin Lobster from Petco anyone?

Post by craydaddy »

Hi all,
We got a Halerquin Lobster from our local Petco last Fall and the clerk was clueless as how to take care of them when asked, anybody know their Latin taxa and point me to a web site for more information, this "lobster" has been with us for about 6 months now in our 20 gal tank with a bunch of guppies and a giant apple snail who massages his back day and night, he ates hermit crab food pellets and ramshorn snails and (leftover) guppy flakes, so far he motled twice as we observed, will post a picture soon I learn how on this forum, any help is appreciated! :roll:
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Re: Halerquin Lobster from Petco anyone?

Post by CanadianCray »

craydaddy wrote:Hi all,
We got a Halerquin Lobster from our local Petco last Fall and the clerk was clueless as how to take care of them when asked, anybody know their Latin taxa
The crays they usually sell as Harlequin is a Cherax sp. "Zebra". They are not a described species so have not been given a complete scientific name.

craydaddy
Egg
Egg

zebra cray

Post by craydaddy »

Hi CC,

That's the exact cray we had and what a beautiful picture, too! Thanks for the information, does that mean "zebra" a hybrid cherax. sp?

best!
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

No not a hybrid. That is a natural species from Papua New Guinea / Indonesia