Questions about setting up a tank for hawaii red shrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mothi
Egg
Egg

Questions about setting up a tank for hawaii red shrimps

Post by Mothi »

My plans is to set up a 1g glass tank (8x8x6) for some hawaii red shrimps. Since I will have a custom hood made for the tank, I have a few questions that will determine its outcome...

1. Do I need filtration? Will having filtration hurt any baby shrimps born or the adults (from getting sucked in)? Will the lack of one provide low water quality from lack of circulation? From the [dead link] site it seems there is no filter or form of manual circulation of water. I was thinking of using this: [dead link], but have concerns that they may get sucked into the filter or that a bulky covering will create an unwanted look. An air pump will work as well, but that will mean brackish water will be bubbling at the top and creating possible saltcreep.

2. Lighting... I hope to keep some form of saltwater plants in this tank or freshwater plants that can handle brackish waters. It all comes down to what salinity is best for them and the plants. My concern is that this may compete against algae which the shrimp feeds on... but I do also plan to supplement them with foods. Also plants in the long run will need trimming which brings in more care to upkeep. What small lighting can I use and will it produce too much heat that I need to add a fan to the back of the hood (which will be open back). I don't intend to use any heaters as it will be impossible to fit nicely into this size of a tank.

Anyone have pictures of their hawaii red shrimp tanks for me to look at? Anything about the tank care, benefits to your setup, or short comings you would like to discuss?
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

No filtration necessary since feeding should be pretty minimal and not a threat to cause polution especially with plant and algae growth present. I have one of those little power filters (being used on something else, not H. rubra) or one very similar to it, and its flow can be adjusted to a perfect little trickle... but I think the intake should be covered with foam, fine net, or other fine material.

I use a very low running air stone just for a little circulation/aeration, necessary or not, but you're right about the "saltcreep" I think. I just let it happen :oops:

I've noticed that brackish tolerant plant growth is very reduced if they are normally freshwater. Mosses (Java and Taiwan for me) work well. As do Java ferns. They live, and I've definitely noticed the moss attaching itself to rocks and such, but sooo slowly. Perhaps the algae growth out competes.

Wouldn't be TOO worried about a fluorescent type light raisign the water T to intolerable levels. These shrimp have been known to thrive in natural waters averaging in the mid 90's F... so it should be OK if that doesn't get exceeded.

I don't have pics of mine, but can get some. I haven't algae scraped the front view very well recently though, so visibility isn't the greatest!
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Post by LiquidBee »

chlorophyll is right about the filtration...I orginally started with a sponge filter, but has turned that off completely for about 2-3 weeks now, the shrimps seem to be doing ok without any water circulation. (You can read my set up under "Hawaiian Red" Messages

Not sure about plants as most don't grow in brackish water...I tried java moss but didn't like results so I removed them completely...weird thing is that the snails that tagged along with the moss did survive under the brackish water...I thought they would all die..

Anyways..I'll try to get some pics soon..
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

Plants need to be slowly acclimated to brackish water. More info here: http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/plants/conditio.htm

Hornwort, java moss and java fern, as well as several others will tolerate brackish conditions.
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Post by LiquidBee »

While looking through my Tank today, I found a berried female !!..YEAH !!

my tank set up

Just basically 2 lava rocks on the side, with a sponge filter (yellow) that's not on...heater on the right, and the power filter (not on)
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Wow that's great; congratualtions! She looks really good.

Here's a pic of my setup.
It's not such a great pic though. The mosses actually look really nice in the tank under the lighting. Some of them are creeping up the left side of the tank (but you can't see in the pic). They were acclimated to brackish over about 10 days but grow very slowly. Plants are really not necessary, but I think algae growth is helpful. This tank's got a good deal of algae.

A sizable pile of rocks is on the left and provides places for the shrimp to hide ... and play, hopefully ;-)
It's a 5 gal tank with about 10-11 L of water. I put 18 shrimp in, but rarely see more than about 8 out at one time. I doubt any died though. I think this is a good cozy naturalistic environment, but the obvious drawback is the shrimp can hide very well and you can't be completely certain whether they're still alive or not, or whether there are any berried specimens or not. However with a water change, the majority of the shrimp will come out of the rocks and start swimming around. That's how I can get a better count and the best opportunity to spot a berried female. Have not seen one in my tank yet though.

Shrimp have been in there for about 2-3 months, and the heater was added just 1.5 weeks ago. Was 22-23 C, but now 31.
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Post by LiquidBee »

Nice set up Chlorophyll....

Your set up was what I had in mind.....a pile of rocks for the shrimps to hide in...but I don't have enough rocks.

I can see most of my shrimps out in the open, but they all come out when I feed them....I don't think I have enough algae growth, so I feed them 1 once every two days...
Mothi
Egg
Egg

Post by Mothi »

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I am going with a 2.5g since my 1g is now occupied with a new venus fly trap I got...hehe More room for the shrimps at least. Got some lava rocks and plan to do a whole lava rock set-up. I am also going to try to accimilate some plants known to handle brackish water and see how that goes. Anubius (spelling?) and Java Ferns are two I am going to try out, since I already have both. They might like anchoring onto the lava rocks I got.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Hey LiquidBee, seems like you're doing a great job if you have them breeding. As far as I know, mine aren't yet. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm patient and hopeful. Perhaps the rocks I put in threw off water chemistry a bit. Sometimes I wanna take apart my rock pile and examine ALL the shrimp for eggs. :lol:
But I'll just let them be and hope they aren't dying where I can't see them. Good luck with your impending larvae.
Ray1214
Egg
Egg

Post by Ray1214 »

Lava Rocks....Mine seem to thrive with them. I paid 4.07 with tax to buy 100 percent lava rock for decorating gardens. It was a 50 pound bag. You do have to rinse it somewhat, but they seem to like it.

I use a spongefilter but I have it buried in the lava rock. It is my attempt to force water current through the rock, but doesn't really work though.

Ray