This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Crayfish Species of Missouri

Post by chlorophyll »

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nat ... arcraw.htm

Wow, how many unidentified species of crayfish must be out there in the world?

Just thought it was an interesting catalogue. Maybe not as eye-opening to continent dwellers, but I live in a place where all we officially have is red P. clarkii.

This is the kind of natural diversity that sometimes makes me want to move away. Not that we don't have our share of natural beauty and wonders here.

Also, just a pic I came across.
newborn crays!
Still on their mother I gather.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Actually, new crayfish species are discovered within the US and elsewhere almost every year. The continental US is the hotspot for crayfish diversity in the world. Unfortunately, not all of them lend themselves to aquarium husbandry since many come from the cooler areas of the continent and do much better in cool water. Plus, many cooler water US crayfish species only breed once a year which makes it difficult to breed them in masses for the hobby (we don't want to deplete the natural populations after all...).

Australia and New Guinea are the No. 2 hotspot for crayfish diversity with many interesting crayfish, although that area of the world probably has less than half the species than the US has.

Oh yes...those baby crays on the pic are still attached to the mother. :)