'Yellow' on my Red Cherry Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

That's a beautiful shot of the butterfly. The hardest part about shots like that is taking the pic quickly before the subject flies away!
Petshrimp.com wrote:The Rebel does not seem to have all that many manual controls as the higher end SLRs.
True. And exactly why I decided to go for the 10D.

Man, you're not kidding around -- going straight for the top-of-the-line! Why don't you take your camera with you to the camera store and play around with some different models. Shoot a few pics & compare features & quality.

Plus at dpreview.com, if you dig a bit into their reviews section, they have sample images from all the different cameras that you can compare.

Of course you realize you're going to have to boot us both outta here for talking about a non-shrimp-related topic... :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Amanda,

This topic is totally shrimp related, since it is so important to be able to take quality shots of these wonderful animals...even if it is for identification purposes. :D

I just want to prevent people from coming to this forum and asking questions like: "I just got baby mollies...what do I do??" (something similar happened actually).

Take care,
Mustafa
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

Hi Mustafa,

The shrimp is pale red.
Sorry that the colour didn't turn out well.

Check out this Aquarium Photography forum at:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... m.php?f=18

Olympus has a few digital camera that can do "supermacro" Photography. Meaning you can get as close as 2cm from your shrimps.
These are some of the pictures taken:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... .php?t=220

Before buying a digital SLR, you need to factor in the following cost as
well:
- Extra "proprietary" camera Li-ion battery
- Extra storage media (eg. 256MB or 512MB CF card)
- External Flashlight (High end camera don't have a built-in flash)
- Off-the-camera flash cable
- Macro lens
- Tripod
- Camera bag

If you use a tripod for all your shots and the "Timer" function instead of your finger to depress the shutter. You will be surprise by the sharpness of the picture !

HG
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

thgng wrote:Before buying a digital SLR, you need to factor in the following cost as
well:
- Extra "proprietary" camera Li-ion battery
- Extra storage media (eg. 256MB or 512MB CF card)
- External Flashlight (High end camera don't have a built-in flash)
- Off-the-camera flash cable
- Macro lens
- Tripod
- Camera bag
Yes, it's totally true that you have to buy other components, not just the camera, but I should point out that the 10D came with a rechargeable battery and it does have a built-in flash. I prefer using an off-camera flash, but ifyou go with a point-and-shoot, you won't have the option.

I'm not trying to sell you on the idea of an SLR -- it's possible to do great photography with point-and-shoot cameras too. But you should have all the info to make your own decision. :wink: