Moderator: Mustafa

dainius_klp
Egg
Egg

question on Cherax sp. "Red Brick"

Post by dainius_klp »

Hello from Lithuania,

Have problems with Cherax sp. ..
The problem is that all theese crayfishes are dying after trying to change them "coats". At first was thinking that something happened during travel to me, but yesterday found out that cray is trying to change his "coat" and after some hours die without finishing his work.
Maybe you have any answers?

p.s. sorry for bad english

dainius
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I don't think that the molting is the problem. Those Cherax sp. "red brick" are all wild caught at this point and *very* sensitive. They seem to arrive in a very bad condition already and are probably doomed to die the moment you bring them home. Sorry about your experience, but that is why it is so important to try to establish captive bred populations.

All you can do is hope that your wild-caught crayfish can recover and breed. Some species recover pretty well and some don't.
dainius_klp
Egg
Egg

Post by dainius_klp »

Thanks,
Think so, that Red Bricks arrived in bad condition, because Blue bricks and Tigers molt normaly. But think that something in molting cause death of Red Bricks, because they die during this procedure.
Will try to breed them all:) (procambarus, cambarellus and shrimps breeded sucsessfully:) )

dainius
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Now there is a crayfish I would love to get my hands on. I just recently picked up some Cherax sp. Iran Jaya trying to breed them.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

CanadianCray wrote:Now there is a crayfish I would love to get my hands on. I just recently picked up some Cherax sp. Iran Jaya trying to breed them.
Hi CanadianCray

Do you have any pictures to show of your lovelies?

Cheers
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

I will try to post some tonight. :D