Macrobrachium sp. "Red Claw" with eggs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

An update.
I noticed the first of the egg-carrying females without eggs more than a week ago, but haven't been able to find any shrimplets. Besides the Red Claws the tank contains a breeding group of Red Cherrys and 1.1 Trichopsis pumila. The Gouramis has been looking very happy and wellfed for the last week, so yesterday they were moved to another tank.
This morning i found several Red Claw babies crawling on the bottom :)
Even though they are not more than 3-4 mm. long, they allready have tiny red claws.

There's still at least three females carrying eggs in the tank.

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! These are some of my most favorite shrimp! They have a lot of personality.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Bo, what a cute little guy/gal that baby is, congrats! I had been wondering how those eggs were coming along and also wondered whatever happened to the 3 or so Bumbleebee eggs too (this part, off topic).
bochr wrote:Today I moved some of the Red Claws from the tank.
There is now one male and five (5) females carrying eggs.
Ah, the proverbial "harem?" The male must be proud of himself. :wink: It's rather interesting and nice that this particular Macrobrachium can be housed together in certain ways with success.

Is the second pic a depiction of the usual water level, meaning is it part terrarium style? Or perhaps you were in the midst of a water change... :lol:

Thanks for the update!

-GB
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

Hi GB

The bumblebee dropped the last 2 eggs (or shrimplets) 1-2 weeks ago.
I haven't seen any shrimplets yet, so I'm afraid she just dropped the eggs.
I still have 5-6 bumblebees left, 3 males and 2-3 females, and all of them looks healthy. It's just between autumn and winther here in Denmark, and the temperature is much lower now. The tank temperature is 22-25 degrees Celcius.

It's the actual waterlevel. The tank is cubic filled 1/3 with water. There's different types of ferns and mosses, Cryptocorynes and Hygrophila in and above the water.

/bc
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

They are allready eating bloodworms:

And a pic of the proud father:

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nice baby. :) Your male's claws will get even bigger (fatter) than in the picture. They become especially reddish-brown when the male is courting the female.
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

The babies are growing fast. The largest is 10 mm. long.

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yep, they do grow very quickly with enough food. They outgrow some of my other Macrobrachium species, which are generally pretty slow growers compared to these guys.
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Macrobrachium sp. "Red Claw" with eggs

Post by demonte1997 »

Not to bring an old thread back but I had to seeing that I am in a similar situation with my red claws. I think my berried female from a couple weeks ago may have given birth to a bunch of babies before she passed. RIP mommy red claw. :cry: In any event, how long does it typically take for these guys to emerge? And can the babies look similar to cherry shrimp when they are tiny? I have dozens of tiny flea sized shrimp hanging around on the glass. I definitely have cherry babies in there but there seems to be a higher amount of babies than normal.. Wish I had a macro lense so I could post pics of them. :( She carried these eggs around for what seemed like 40 days before she passed. I assume they had to have hatched. :/
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

If the eggs did hatch,
You should be able to tell the difference in body shapes.
If you are not sure, just give them a few weeks and you should be able to see the difference.

Good Luck
John
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

Thanks for the response. It looks like they are all cherries unless the macro babies are better at hiding. I don't know what is wrong with my group of macros. The males keep killing the females. I lost my only other female last week. :x The macros do not hassle the cherry shrimp in the tank, but they will kill each other. lol Now I need to find a source for another couple females and hope they are able to live. :(
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Sorry to hear the Bad News.
When I Red Claws, I never had a problem with aggressive Males.
I had a small group of 3 Males & 4 Females.

Are they getting enough to eat ?
What size tank are they housed in ?
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

They are in a 20 gallon tank. They get fed twice daily and I believe it is enough. I don't want to over feed them. Having the booming cherry population may be taking some food out of their mouths but I don't think it is that much.

This is a very well-furnished tank so it's not like they don't have hiding places. Water is changed 25% weekly. Temp is about 82* with a PH around 7.8.

I can't see why the males would be so nasty in this situation. Was thinking that having more than one was a bad idea but it sounds like you had a few and it was fine. However, you might have housed them in a larger tank.

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you can think of anything else. I may be getting a couple females next week.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I can't see why the males would be so nasty in this situation.
I keep all of my Shrimp @ 74 -76.
The Higher end of their Temp. Range may be aiding in the Aggression.
demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by demonte1997 »

Ahhhh. That's interesting to note. I'll turn the heater down this evening.

In good news, I found three baby macros cruising around last night. So, perhaps I was a little hasty in my initial thoughts that none made it. They are about 3mm in length now. Adorable with the little bright red claws.

Thanks again for the tips. I'm hopeful I can get a couple females out of this batch and continue breeding them. :)