my breeding ghost shrimp experience

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

my breeding ghost shrimp experience

Post by zapisto »

few month ago i buy some ghost shrimp (feeder as they call it) and try to breed them
i see some shrimplet swimming around.
very funny to see them swim in the colomn water rather than at the bottom like my cherry or tiger.
i was a bit nervous , because i read lot of place , the difficulties is for feeding them.

so i use my own mix of rotifer/artemia/daphnia poder <100 micron size
and i use also "golden pearl" 0-50 micron)
almost one week after i can say i lost about 40% of the offspring, but i can see them growing.

and it almost a month now and i have nice baby ghost shrimp around.
they are growing a bit faster them tiger/cherry i think
is it true ?

now
my question

i came back from Austin wil a few adult ghost shimp (about 20) with some female carrying eggs .
i lost a few of the shrimp and now end with with about 12 left.

is it an error to mix the one i got from austin with the one i already have ?
i heard they are many species but really hard to differenciate.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The ones you bought in Canada are most likely Macrobrachium lanchesteri whereas the ones you bought in Texas are most likely Palaemonetes paludosus. The Macrobrachium are a little larger and tend to be a little more aggressive than the Palaemonetes. In a large enough tank you can keep them together, but in a small tank you might see the weaker animals getting harassed.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Mustafa wrote:The ones you bought in Canada are most likely Macrobrachium lanchesteri whereas the ones you bought in Texas are most likely Palaemonetes paludosus. The Macrobrachium are a little larger and tend to be a little more aggressive than the Palaemonetes. In a large enough tank you can keep them together, but in a small tank you might see the weaker animals getting harassed.
ok
thanks mustafa
i will keep them seprate then if they are differente species.