shrimp tank

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

phillip
<b>BANNED</b>

shrimp tank

Post by phillip »

i was thinkning of a shrimp tank

how big could i get one for and how many in it

eg
1 foot tank by 1 foot n a foot how many shrimps in here and what type
or maybe a bit smaller
Lady Friesian
Larva
Larva

Post by Lady Friesian »

This depends completely on what kind of shrimp you want and how many. Small ones like the dwarf shrimp, Amanos, or some ghost shrimp (I think) can be kept in 5-10 gallon tanks. Others need bigger ones.

The stocking density depends on a lot of factors, including filtration, number of plants, temperment of the species, how often you change the water, and more.

Personally, I wouldn't try to stick as many shrimp as possible in a tank; it's better if they have some "breathing room."
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Can someone please let me know how dense a shrimp population is to dense? I need to know as I have a couple of female CRs carrying eggs and need to plan this out before the shrimplets arrive. I have them in a 5 g tank.

Thanks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

As long as you do 30-50% water changes every week, you'll be OK until the shrimp grow up. I've observed over population to inhibit egg production. Once you have 50 or so juvies in a 5 gallon tank you'll be pushing it. Drop $10 and get a 10 gallon tank. 5 gallon tanks just don't have enough volume to respond to problems before they get lethal.