Need Some Help!!!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Need Some Help!!!!

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I did a search on here, but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for...

I have a 30 gallon planted tank with bamboo and ghost shrimp. I have to treat the tank for a nasty ich breakout. Will the shrimp be okay with raised temperatures and an aquarium salt treatment? Thanks!
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Try a search for "Ich" it's a question that's been passed around quite often.

Ecir
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I'd move the fish to a quarrantine tank for the duration of the treatment. It is much easier to treat a small aquarium and you won't risk stressing your inverts during treatment.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Ecir wrote:Try a search for "Ich" it's a question that's been passed around quite often.

Ecir
Thanks! I will do that.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

YuccaPatrol wrote:I'd move the fish to a quarrantine tank for the duration of the treatment. It is much easier to treat a small aquarium and you won't risk stressing your inverts during treatment.
This is not so simple for me. Most of the fish that have ich are female bettas. I can't just put them into a bare bottom quarantine tank. If I were to do that, they'd tear each other to shreds in a matter of minutes.
Jojoyojimbi
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:
YuccaPatrol wrote:I'd move the fish to a quarrantine tank for the duration of the treatment. It is much easier to treat a small aquarium and you won't risk stressing your inverts during treatment.
This is not so simple for me. Most of the fish that have ich are female bettas. I can't just put them into a bare bottom quarantine tank. If I were to do that, they'd tear each other to shreds in a matter of minutes.
bettas are even easier to treat than most other fish because honestly they'll survive in a shoebox if it's got water in it

get some plastic tupperware from the grocery store and seperate each of them into a seperate tub or, punch holes in the containers and float them on the surface of a medicating tank and weigh down the bottoms with a small stone or something, you can keep a large number of bettas in such a set up until their ich clears up
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I don't know if this will help, but Ijust invested in a diatom filter. This allows you to use the filter to remove the ich larva via the filter rather than kill them with medicine.

I would not expose the shrimp to the medicine used to kill ich.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Diatom filter? What does it do?
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Can I move the shrimp to another tank, or would they spread the active ich to other tanks? I keep mostly aggressive and mildly aggressive fish: I have 5 bamboo shrimp and 6 ghost shrimp. The other tanks that I have are two 10 gallons--1 is a female betta sorority tank, 1 is a dwarf puffer tank (2 DPs and 2 otos), I have a 5 gallon with a male betta, I also have a storage container that's a guppy and red cherry shrimp grow out tank. Do I have potential temporary homes for at least the bamboo shrimp? I am thinking they would be safe in the guppy/red cherry shrimp "tank". I wouldn't mind the ghosts in the DP tank--they were originally bought for the DP tank as cleaners and a snack.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Shrimp do not spread ich. The fish and gravel are the source of the disease.

A diatom filter works exactly like a pool filter. It uses Diatomaceous Earth which is so fine the ich larva are filtered out.

The life cycle of ich is pretty complicated, but basically you raise the temperature to get the ich to quickly move to the free swimming form. It will look for a new host (your fish) but can be filtered out or killed at that point. When it is in the fish or in the gravel you can't do too much to it.