C. cf babaulti Green + Malaya - crossbreeding?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

C. cf babaulti Green + Malaya - crossbreeding?

Post by gr81 »

Hi all,
do you have some experiences with these species? Will this two crossbreed.
Both are cf. Babaulti, but not babaulti itself so there should be only morfological similarities of two different species. I don't know.
So question is, if they will crossbreed in same tank?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You'll have to post a picture of what you consider "Malaya" before getting any replies. As far as I know the green shrimp does not crossbreed with any of the species I am familiar with.
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Ok, here is red(Malaya) babaulti called "red back" and green simply "green". I mean this two (from wirbellose.de).
Malaya: http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=275
Green: http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=120

As my german is very poor, I don't undertand text infos. Bud I see there some reference to you Mustafa.

Thanx for info.
DanHagan
Larva
Larva

Post by DanHagan »

They MOST LIKLEY will not cross breed. I dont have green shrimp so I cant say 100% that they will not, but I am about 98% sure they will not!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm thinking they will cross. Convert both pics to black & white and just look at the body of the two shrimps. Mustafa has a much better eye for these things than I do, but I can't tell them apart except for color.
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

As I understood from german text on server above. Mustafa wrote there, that they go through short larval stage. As I know "Green neon" goes directy to postlarvae. So I don't know.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Only trying it will tell for sure. Keep us posted.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Oh...ok. If it's those two shrimp, then they will not crossbreed. The "malaya" indeed go through a larval stage (although very short and in freshwater), whereas the greens don't. It's highly unlikely that two shrimp with different larval development can crossbreed.

By the way, the "Caridina cf. babaulti" has been applied pretty indiscriminately to a few species, so I would not take that as the last word. In this case I am sure we have two totally different species here.
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Thanx a lot mustafa,
can you write a few words about this "Malaya" needs(water)? As I understood, you have some experiences with these beauties... thanx.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

gr81 wrote:Thanx a lot mustafa,
can you write a few words about this "Malaya" needs(water)? As I understood, you have some experiences with these beauties... thanx.
They do fine in about neutral water. They need really clean water with non-detectable nitrates for the larvae to survive. No special feeding for the larvae. Everything else is the same as for other dwarf shrimp...i.e. lots of leaf litter etc.
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Oh, so that's bad. I don't want to be "tortured" by NO3 as I am by CRS tank.
What about "green neon" are they also so NO3 sensitive? I have them only shortly, no breedeng yet. My tap watter is 40Mg/l NO3. Should manage 5-10mg/l. But I though they are hardy.