An exciting new shrimp!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

This new Green Shrimp will be a great asset to the Hobby.

I just hope that after it is in the Hobby, the other Green Shrimp will not be forgotten.
Because of a faster growth rate the new Green Shrimp will be prefered by most Hobbiest.

Just My Thoughts
John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I also feel the same because I have been raising the other green shrimp :-D Only time will tell but at least we can help remind others :wink:
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Mustafa Wrote
That seems to be the case for most, if not all, other species, by the way. I am going to get rid of the "water parameters" section in my shrimp species description shortly to avoid any confusion. My experience and research shows that factors other than ph are responsible for the majority of shrimp deaths and mishaps. Research is ongoing though and I will finally write an article about water parameters. In the meantime, don't worry too much about ph issues.
I know there are alot of other factors that cause deaths and mishaps.
But, the water paramaters would be helpful to aid in the Breeding of a certain type of Shrimp.

As for Caridina sp. "Bee"
Needs soft, acidic water to feel well and breed. Can survive for a while in slightly alkaline water, but usually no offspring survive after hatching. Adults seem to be shorter lived in alkaline water, too.
Or has your research proved this information outdated ?

John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Newjohn wrote:
As for Caridina sp. "Bee"
Needs soft, acidic water to feel well and breed. Can survive for a while in slightly alkaline water, but usually no offspring survive after hatching. Adults seem to be shorter lived in alkaline water, too.
Or has your research proved this information outdated ?

John
My research is still ongoing that's why I don't want to jump the gun yet. My crystal reds and bees are currently breeding in alkaline water at the lower end of the alkaline range (7.1-7.4). And it is also true that the wild forms of these animals come from very low conductivity and very acidic waters (down to around 5.5 ph). NYC tap water, although it is alkaline, is probably the lowest conductivity water in the country. Out of the tap it comes out close to what many RO units produce (around 60-70 microsiemens/cm). Once I am in California, I will have probably the highest conductivity and most alkaline water in the country at something like 1000+ microsiemens/cm and 8+ Ph. So if my bee shrimp and crystal reds breed at those values (and are just as productive), too, then I can confidently say that conductivity and high ph do not affect these shrimp as long as everything else is ok with their setup (i.e. cycled, not overfed, etc.). At this point I can't say that. All I can say is that I have had them breed in very low conductivity water at ph levels of 5.5 - 7.4. I prefer the higher ph levels (at around neutral) as filter bacteria seem more stable.

Once I am done with all my research, which will happen after I move to California and do my testing with the water there, I will be able to give a more comprehensive picture.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Mustafa
Thank You for the information.

What is the survival % of the young compare to there soft water counter parts ?
And how many generations did it take to get there ?

I will leave the questions to these 2. I do not want to confuse any other members reading this Thread.

Back to the topic.

Did you sort these "New" Green Shrimp from a large Group ?
Or did they come in, in 1 Shippment ?

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Out of the tap it comes out close to what many RO units produce (around 60-70 microsiemens/cm). Once I am in California, I will have probably the highest conductivity and most alkaline water in the country at something like 1000+ microsiemens/cm and 8+ Ph.
:shock: Wow, that is a big difference. I will be waiting for the results of this important research.
fett
Egg
Egg

Post by fett »

Those look really cool. I want some!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The survival rate of the young in alkaline water (as my water is still as soft as it gets, just alkaline) is about the same as in acidic water so far. And this is the first generation of young in alkaline water.

As for the green shrimp...I sorted them out of a bunch of different shrimp species. The challenge was to find the males, as almost all of the shrimp were females. They did not even look green when I got them, they were a sickly whitish/ghost color. But I was pretty sure they would turn green once I got them back to health. And they sure did. I have developed an "eye" for this over the years.

The most important thing with wild-caught/imported shrimp is to get them to breed as soon as possible as they are likely going to die sooner than later. As we speak, more than half of my adults are already dead, despite having perfect conditions and despite all of their young still surviving and being healthy. That's just sad reality with these stressed out imports. These stress-related die-offs just do not happen with the captive-bred offspring (given the right conditions of course).
Newjohn wrote:Mustafa
Thank You for the information.

What is the survival % of the young compare to there soft water counter parts ?
And how many generations did it take to get there ?

I will leave the questions to these 2. I do not want to confuse any other members reading this Thread.

Back to the topic.

Did you sort these "New" Green Shrimp from a large Group ?
Or did they come in, in 1 Shippment ?

John
Last edited by Mustafa on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

The most important thing with wild-caught/imported shrimp is to get them to breed as soon as possible as they are likely going to die sooner than later.
Thanks for the tip :!:
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Mustafa,

I have spotted some shrimp in my green shrimp tank that look exactly like the one in the second picture here:

http://www.petshrimp.com/darkgreenshrimp.html

You mention this in your article: 'the dark green shrimp never has a stripe down its back ' but on your pictures I see a stripe down the back of the pictured shrimp. What do you mean that it never has a stripe down its back.

Thanks