Shrimp Anatomy?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Shrimp Anatomy?

Post by 51Cornell »

Can anyone point me to someplace that has a diagram of shrimp anatomy? I'm kind of stymied (but I get this way kind of easily) as to how the eggs, which always look to me to be developing along their back, get moved suddenly down to their swimmerettes. I thought if I'd at least look at how shrimp are built, it might help. Thanks.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

OooOOooooOOOO, that's exactly what I needed and MORE! Thanks, thanks, thanks.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Glad to help.
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

ok, so this was pretty cool, but i was wondering what the taxonomists use to distinguish different genera? does anyone know of a guide? i would like to be able to look at an undescribed caridina and just be able to tell that is what it is, and not something else.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

mikedmatthews wrote:ok, so this was pretty cool, but i was wondering what the taxonomists use to distinguish different genera? does anyone know of a guide? i would like to be able to look at an undescribed caridina and just be able to tell that is what it is, and not something else.
Shrimp, especially freshwater caridean shrimp (which includes all the shrimp in the hobby) are an "understudied" and neglected field of study. There are no hobbyist guides out there at this point that will teach you how to do this. You will have to find and go through all the necessary scientific papers yourself (and that's not a walk in the park for most people). Plus, there hasn't been any major revisions in shrimp taxonomy since the beginning of time so whatever is "scientifically" correct at this point is most likely not going to be all that "correct" in the future.

For all practical purposes, being able to distinguish species by external features such as size, shape, rostrum etc. is you need. However, that does take quite a bit of experience with many different species (and lots of TIME observing them) before you get the hang of it.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Yes, scientific papers can be a challenge to go through, but I personally do enjoy reading them, nomatter how long. I find it very interesting...

There has been some work done on the Lysmata shrimp recently, I beleive by Andrew Rhyne and others. I watched his lecture at IMAC. Apparently there are actually seven species of peppermint shrimp, when there was previously only thought to have been one. All species had minor differences such as different color bands, or more/less spines along the rostrum.