Red Claw young

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Red Claw young

Post by pixl8r »

I think that young Red Claws have even more personality than the adults. They are very agile swimmers. My 5 year old son calls them 'superman shrimp'. When they leap off from a plant, they stick their red claws straight out and arch their 'backs'. ;) They seem to be showing territorial behaviour, defending perches near the top (closest to the food). And for some strange reason, they'll occasionally grab something with their claws and tug on it. They do that to plastic plants, drift wood, and the sea sponges.

They will also try to steal food from each other, and the 4 amano shrimp that share their tank. Greedy little suckers!
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Well I've been focused on caring for the young that I wasn't watching the adults as closely as I did a few months ago. So while doing a partial water change, I noticed that one of the females as new eggs. They can't be more than a week old, I took pictures last week for a friend and no eggs to be seen. For a large shrimp species, they sure are prolific!

I posted a few pictures in my gallery. http://www.petshrimp.com/cpg/displayima ... at=0&pos=0
It's difficult to see the individual eggs, I either need a much stronger flash, better back lighting, or a subject that's willing to do better poses.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Females of this species carry eggs ALL THE TIME :) This may be a problem at times - you can quickly end up with hundreds of shrimp. Fine if you have somebody who'll gladly take them, bad if you have to keep them and don't have a dozen of tanks. Due to the fact you live in the US where Red Claws are scarce, you probably won't have this dilemma.
Anyway, congrats on your shrimp grandchildren! ;)
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Well, looks like it won't be long until I do have hundreds. FYI, these aren't grandchildren, they're another brood from my first threesome of shrimp.

Oohhh, I'm just a little slow ;)

I consider them more analiticly, and I'm a bit off center. So you could say; I'm Dr Frankenstein and they're my monsters.