Caridina japonica

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Caridina japonica

Post by Newjohn »

Or more commonly called the Amano Shrimp.

Here are a couple pictures of Berried Females

I have 4 Females that look like this almost all of the time.

Here is one of my Males

John
Allex
Larva
Larva

Re: Caridina japonica

Post by Allex »

Newjohn wrote:Or more commonly called the Amano Shrimp.
Isn't the correct latin name Caridina multidentata?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Caridina japonica

Post by Mustafa »

Allex wrote:
Newjohn wrote:Or more commonly called the Amano Shrimp.
Isn't the correct latin name Caridina multidentata?
I knew someone would bring up this question at some point...It's a suggested "new" (not really, it's actually older than "japnonica", but long story) name, which, as far as I know, has not been accepted as a definite replacement for Caridina japonica. Just because one scientist decides to propose a name change, it does not follow that the name change is actually valid. As everything is peer-reviewed in the scientific world, other scientists would have to actually show acceptance by using that name or show disagreement.

Either way, with names like Caridina japonica, which have been used for a very long time in many papers, the name is usually kept for the sake of continuity (and easier searching).

Either way, in this particular case the proposed name change "occured" due to a formality, not because any groundbreaking scientific breakthroughs have been made. Someone decided that a species thought to be different from Caridina japonica (i.e. Caridina multidentata) is actually the same species as C. japonica. But, since Caridina multidentata, as a scientific name, has been around a few years longer, it was suggested that it should be the senior synonym (i.e. the valid name) for Caridina japonica. I personally find such a change silly. Alright...let's change a well-known name (C. japonica) to a name that most people (even scientists) have never heard about, about which nothing has been written (except the inititial description as a separate species), but which happens to be an older name. :roll:

I think in this case a "wait and see" attitude is more appropriate than rushing to the keyboard and immediately changing a well-established name for no other reason that a formality.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

If I remember right something similar happened with T-Rex.
Some else had found and named a bone a few year before...
Thankfully they did not change the T-Rex to the other name.

It was bad enough with the change from Brontosaur to Apatosaur. :?

Anyway back to shrimp :-D

TKD
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Those are nice Amanos, John.

They have different coloration than mine - mine are a bit lighter with bright gold stripes down their back.

Interesting info Mustafa. I like the name Caridina japonica better than multidentata.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

mustafa , while we are talking about name change , what aboout heteropoda vs sinensis

(sorry john to ask this in your thread)

By the way nice amano.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

The Fisherman
There is only 1 LPS that carries Amanos with this coloration.

John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

zapisto wrote:mustafa , while we are talking about name change , what aboout heteropoda vs sinensis

(sorry john to ask this in your thread)

By the way nice amano.
That name was changed because of different reasons. A scientist thought that there are enough differences between N. denticulata sinensis and N. denticuata denticulata to make N. denticulata sinensis its own species (i.e. N. heteropoda). But again, I'm a big fan of the "wait and see" attidude and the peer review process (unfortunately, there aren't all that many "shrimp researchers" around to peer review though). I'll just wait and see if that name change gets accepted in papers that follow. This one will probably stick, though, since it's not just a formality but based on actual, hands-on research.
Last edited by Mustafa on Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

thanks mustafa for the answer.