Please help the Newbee

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Kribman14420
Egg
Egg

Post by Kribman14420 »

Okay guys, no worries I won't do it. Theshrimp123, I actually found some old unused lockers that i may use to try your idea, at least if i can find space for them and i can clean them up nice. :-D I also have a friend who has offered me a small tank, it might be too small but we will see, maybe it can be my first shrimp tank. If not i could always switch it with my fry tank. What are the minimum requirements needed for a small shrimp tank?
Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Post by Monkanater »

Just get a tank that can hold a sponge filter and a small plant or two.Around a 5 gallon tank would work fine.
Kribman14420
Egg
Egg

Post by Kribman14420 »

Any sugestions for a first shrimp? My friend is giving me a tank, it might be a 5 gallon. is it more important for shrimp to have a big footprint or is height more important in a tank? I think i have some plants i can put in the tank that are extra from my other tanks, do you have any sugestions for other good plants? i beleive right now all i have is some amazon swords and some java fern. thanks again for all of the help, Krib
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Cherrys, ghosts, amanos. Get more experiance and bigb tank for wood shrimp. Java moss is a good plant to have.Duckweed i have also. I only have wild caught minnows in my tank, but im sure there must be some fish out there. ;-)
Kribman14420
Egg
Egg

Post by Kribman14420 »

thanks man. i will look at those. I don't like floating plants but java moss is a good idea thanks.
Kribman14420
Egg
Egg

Post by Kribman14420 »

Just wondering if "ninja" shrimp are a good beginners shrimp. Also would it be okay to keep them in the same tank with Red Chery shrimp? Would they cross-breed? I know in the fish hobby hybridization is a big no no and most of the time people avoid keeping fish of the same genus in one tank. Is it the same way with shrimp? Also, i would like to tell Mustafa that the pictures on this site are excellent, what type of camera do you use?
Kribman14420
Egg
Egg

Post by Kribman14420 »

hmm, still browsing the site and coming up with more questions. Mostly for Mustafa if you are reading this, are the prices for your shrimp listed how much they are each or how much they are for 10, also do you know where i can get shrimp if you don;t have the kind i want? thanks much, Krib
ming
Egg
Egg

Post by ming »

The prices are for each. It just states you have to buy a minimum of 10 because shipping less then that isn't really worth it. And add 14.95 to your total for shipping cost
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

ming wrote:It just states you have to buy a minimum of 10 because shipping less then that isn't really worth it.
Actually, it is because these shrimp are happier in groups.
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Dont order from AZgardens. They arent the best out there. Buy from mustafa.
Kribman14420
Egg
Egg

Post by Kribman14420 »

okay thanks guys.
Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Shrimpmania »

Do u want to have the feeling of being locked in a darkness room? Just imagin yrself being locked in yr room completely no air circulation , no light and the oni time u see light is meal time . Put yrself in the shoes of yr betta ( althought betta no shoe :lol: ) :twisted:
Kribman14420
Egg
Egg

Post by Kribman14420 »

shrimpmania, i don;t think you have read this thread completely or carefully enough, i have decided not to do the locker thing, however if you would like to give me tips on the setup of my first shrimp tank which will be going in a well light and properly filtered airated etc. tank then plesae feel free.
cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by cro117 »

i have an idea for you Kribman14420. you could try Hydrazoa with some water flees and java moss and algae for the flees to feed on. they aren't conventionaly cool but if your an aquatic freack like me they are fun to watch eating the fleas. or, plan 'b' you can just place a container of unclorenated water in your locker and give it a little vegitable mater once a week. before you know it you will have micro orginizems. nothing to brag to your freinds about, but if you can get access to the microscopes in the biolab(if your school hasn't cut them from the budget) their still pretty fun to watch.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

Kribman14420 wrote:Just wondering if "ninja" shrimp are a good beginners shrimp.
i don't believe ninja shrimp are available in the states. they are in Japan tho, altho i could be wrong. the most common ones available are amanos, cherries, and ghosts. the more "exotic" varieties, such as tigers, crystal reds, and bumblebees can be found, but are rare, at least, IME.

if u can find ninja shrimp tho, i'd jump on it... tell me where to get it, too! :D