What you Don't want in your shrimp tank...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

What you Don't want in your shrimp tank...

Post by southerndesert »

This afternoon as I was gently rooting around in some java moss in a tank housing both Indian Zebra and Malaya Shrimp looking for two missing Malaya shrimp (should have 10) after moving the other 8 into another tank last week that I have been maturing for a couple months. I came across two Damselfly Larva :shock: hidden in the moss looking all fat, happy, and right at home. The one shown is almost 3/4 of an inch. I'm pretty sure thats what is is anyway because we used to catch them and keep them in tanks when I was young in MI.

Now this is the same tank that I had some small shrimp go missing a while back and I think I have found the reason. It truly amazes me at how nature finds a way to introduce new critters into a fellows little home made ecosystem... NOTHING has been introduced into this tank by me in months other than the shrimp and it is a brain twister trying to figure out where they came from in a covered tank and seeing how I live in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona. Now we do see Dragonflies here from time to time as the Hassayampa River is within a few miles, but how in the heck did they accomplish this feat? :roll:

These are vicious little critters related to the Dragonfly and will have no problem with small shrimps. They have a hinged lower jaw that shoots out like a mousetrap and nabs their prey. Actually very cool unless it is in a shrimp tank. The one in the photo is half the size of the first I caught, but...um...disposed of without thinking to take a photo.

Ahhhh the adventures of shrimping, Bill
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Bill,

Do you think they might have hitch hicked on some plants, gravel or rocks that you introduced? Thanks for the picture to help use id these bugs :shock:
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

I'm just not sure, only thing that goes into the tank is leaves...collected miles from any permanent water source and Damselflies like Dragonflies lay their eggs in water.

Surly a mystery to me????

Bill
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I think the leaves just might be the problem. Alot of bugs will lay their eggs on the leaves :?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My guess is they came in with the shrimp as eggs and you never saw them. I got some really sneaky damselfly larva that way. Mine were bright green and had 3 tail fins and stood on their heads. They looked just like plants. Yours actually could be dragonfly larva, but they do the same damage.

My tanks are in my basement, and there are no dragon flies down there. They appeared about 2 weeks after I got shrimp. The eggs are less than 1 mm long. Most shrimp are shipped with a little bit of plant and the eggs can easily hide in them.

The Turkey Baster of Death dispatched them.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

yikes! Those damsel/dragon-fly larvae are nasty. I mean, I respect that they're awesomely designed predators, but they're certainly something I do not want in my tanks! :shock: I've seen documentaries where they actually snatch adult minnows (~1 inch long) right out of the water and suck their guts out.

I'm sorry he got a couple of your shrimp before you spotted him. Good thing the loss wasn't total, though.

Ahhh, the fun things we get in our tanks...
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Hi Guys,

Here is a photo of both for comparison... Mine did have the 3 tail "feathers" which are actually gills I think, but one came off while catching it. Dragonfly larva do not have these, but instead pump water through their body, they can also use the water "jet" in their abdomen to propel themselves.

Left is Damselfly and Right is Dragonfly both are very aggressive predators and will indeed "suck the guts out" of any critter they can grab.

ImageImage
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

thanks very much for looking into it and reporting your findings :)

I just hope I never have to make that ID in person ;-)
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: What you Don't want in your shrimp tank...

Post by shrimpbaby »

southerndesert wrote: Actually very cool unless it is in a shrimp tank.

I agree. I'd not want one in my shrimp tanks either, of course, but yeah, very cool looking.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Just today I had an experience with a Damselfly at work. Over the past few days I had noticed my Guppy population diminishing. I could not figure out what was happening. But this morning when I turned the tank light on I noticed a huge (6cm) damselfly wandering around the substrate.

I was a bit embarrassed, a few days ago I suspected what it was so I tore the rockwork out of the tank and removed the plants, combed the roots and didn't find anything. I am not sure how I missed this guy, but I did. I felt bad dispatching him, he was really pretty, but he was eating my little guppies.

Often damselflies and occasionally dragonflies are brought into home aquaria through plant purchases, especially on mosses. I am fairly confident that I dispatch all of them before they are sold to my customers. Admittedly, I have missed some of them. If you are one of the poor fellows that got one of these hitchhikers from a retailer, you have my apologies.