Tiger Shrimps eat Baby Cherry?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Tiger Shrimps eat Baby Cherry?

Post by beckypyyeung »

I have a pair of adult Cherry shrimps and a pair of adult Tiger shrimps in a small breeding tank hung inside a 10-gallon tank. There are Java Moss and gravels inside. The female Cherry was pregnant. I saw a baby Cherry two days ago, but nothing yesterday and today. Did the Tiger or the big Cherry eat the baby? Do adult shrimps eat baby shrimps ?

But I have seen a tank of adults plus babies in a fish shop. They're all Cherry.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Neither Tigers nor RCS are physically capable of killing another shrimp. They will eat one that is already dead or dying, but can not kill a healthy one,
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Oh, I see. Does any shrimp friends here know if baby shrimps can swim right after they're born or they're still eggs which take time to hatch outside the mother ?

Perhaps this baby shrimp is gone. However, this time I have got a piece of important information - shrimps reproduce by internal fertilization.

My observation is here in a flow chart :

1. The female shrimp carried eggs (black in colour) in her transparent abdomen when it came to my tank.
2. The male shrimp died after a few days.
3. The eggs were still inside the female shrimp.
4. After a few days the eggs were no longer inside the female shrimp, but I couldn't see any baby.
5. I bought another male shrimp.
6. I saw a baby shrimp after a few days.

It's amazing. The baby shrimp was much much smaller than I expected.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

beckypyyeung wrote:Oh, I see. Does any shrimp friends here know if baby shrimps can swim right after they're born or they're still eggs which take time to hatch outside the mother ?
It depends on the species. Some hatch as mini-shrimp. Some go through larval stages. Cherries hatch as mini-shrimp.

http://www.petshrimp.com/shrimpspecies.html
1. The female shrimp carried eggs (black in colour) in her transparent abdomen when it came to my tank.
Inside her abdomen or suspended on her pleopods/swimmerettes?
Cherry eggs should be gold.

2. The male shrimp died after a few days.
In general, I don't think this is to be expected.
3. The eggs were still inside the female shrimp.
They should be layed and carried on her pleopods.
4. After a few days the eggs were no longer inside the female shrimp, but I couldn't see any baby.
5. I bought another male shrimp.
6. I saw a baby shrimp after a few days.
Cherries usually carry their eggs for close to a months.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Bradimus wrote:Cherry eggs should be gold.
They can also be dark green :)
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Dear Shrimp Friends,

The baby shrimp didn't show up in the past two days. I thought it was dead. Wow, I saw it again a few minutes ago !! Hurrah !! This time it's a bit bigger, but much more visible now. Don't know if it's the only one baby.

Aha, I forgot to mention that the eggs were black initially, then a layer in yellow covered every single egg.

Thanks for all the information. I misunderstood that all species reproduce the same way.

I wish all your shrimps healthy and happy !

Becky (Ha ha ha ! This is my first baby shrimp !)
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Wow, I've seen one more baby shrimp ! That means I've got two now !
sprucansailor
Larva
Larva

Post by sprucansailor »

Thats wonderful! I dont have any baby shrimp, but I have a bunch of baby fish! I know how exciting it is!

I hope to eventually raise shrimp, but I need to get some experiance with adults first!

Branden
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Jackie wrote: They can also be dark green :)
Doesn't that indicate a regression to the wild coloring?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Bradimus wrote:
Jackie wrote: They can also be dark green :)
Doesn't that indicate a regression to the wild coloring?
Yes, in my experience it usually does. Although, some others have reported that there used to be cherry red populations with green eggs that would produce red shrimp. I cannot verify these claims.

Mustafa
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Mustafa wrote:
Bradimus wrote:Doesn't that indicate a regression to the wild coloring?
Yes, in my experience it usually does. Although, some others have reported that there used to be cherry red populations with green eggs that would produce red shrimp. I cannot verify these claims.
Hi Mustafa!

I hope to find this out in a few weeks, a Cherry that belongs to my friend has dark green eggs. I'll let you all know what the babies look like as soon as they start getting color (or don't get color - which is more possible).
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Both baby shrimps haven't shown up today. I've tried to see through the Java Moss but couldn't see them :( They swam a lot last night. I do hope they'll appear again soon :)